First ever American graduates from Sandhurst.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Apr 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hate to be "picky" but whilst they might graduate from West Point they pass out from Sandhurst.

2. Really...I, and the rest of my intake, was commissioned.

I believe they pass-out at ATR Pirbright though?

3. Well done Lt Heath. Congratulations and good luck. The more interaction that we have between our allies the better in my opinion.

4. Not wishing to be pedantic but The Kings Royal Rifle Corps (the 60th Rifles), had 7 American officers in its ranks from the early days of WW2 and well before the US entered the war. No doubt it had something to do with the KRRC's origins in the colonies as the 60th (Royal American) Regiment of Foot. I seem to remeber reading that Anthony Eden, a former 60th officer in WW1, had a hand in it all.
    I don't know whether they went to Sandhurst as I know the commissioning procedure was slightly different back then. Nonetheless, they were all proper officers and saw action in the Desert and Italy I believe. Don't know what became of them though. Great to see this latest development though, we'll have the septics in barbours and wellies yet!
    :wink:

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It is arguable that you passed out of Sandhurst as your commision came not from the Governing body of Sandhust and therefore from that institution, but from Her Majesty the Queen.

So you in fact passed out to a Commision.

6. Have we had any British Officers going to West Point?

7. Why? Are going to send some to McDonalds Management school too?

Besides, WP is slightly different to Sandhurst.... Whilst RMAS has, on occaision, been referred to as OTC that has got out of hand, WP definitly takes the biscuit on that....

It is a 4 year Uni course, during which mil trainging also delivered... whilst the majority move on to the Army, it is also possible to commisionin to the Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard.

More here

9. Bearing in mind the other comments from Auld Yin and THM, surely you and the rest of your intake were commissioned! :wink:

[/PEDANT]

11. While at RMA,I spent 6 weeks at The Point on a cadet exchange.I imagine that there's no time for that now? There are,as mentioned in this thread,striking differences in the training of officers,at the two institutions.At The Point one graduates with a degree,and some cadets go on to study in UK,mainly at Oxbridge,on Rhodes and other scolarships.However WP graduates used to form a very small proportion of officers in the US Army(perhaps 2 in a battalion).Most of their officers are commissioned via ROTC(OTC),or by the Arms to whom they are allocated,on direct officer producing courses.

12. How could this work? There are so many differences between the British and US armed forces. Even really basic things like rank. No PFCs over here. Nor are there umpteen different kinds of sergeants.

Surely he'll have to repeat some elements of basic training as he wont be qualified to use American equipment. No Bowman radios over there, or SA80s, or Parade Gloss shoe polish.

What'll happen to him?

13. i was commissioned?

i were commissioned?

and ,1 & 2 ATRs are still the Training Regiments, under the parent organisation of the ATC(P)...

14. I was commissioned I think.