First DIE weekend

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by yater_spoon, Feb 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just completed first weekend of new syllabus and can I say if this is the future of TA infantry training particularly then so much for the better from my perspective.
    A few lessons on Sat morning followed by a fairly intense FTX at company level based on operational scenarios. Platoon attach in afternoon followed by recce patrols in evening. Everything is bang up to date with traces and patrol reports to be completed, then to conduct routine within the fob. Orders the following morning for a platoon attack.
    Despite the freezing cold and rain It was fairly challenging as it dusted aside a few cobwebs on drills, orders, and procedures, and showed the importance of having rehearsals. These lessons were learnt and carried over onto the next day and also for future exercises. Those people that did not attend may be "shocked" by the admin burden and the inability to cuff it, as now commanders are fully accountable.
    This also has the benefit of maintaining retention within the unit, and for those that do not like infantry soldiering will hopefully drift off to do something else. The success also depends on the ability to have a formed coy each weekend but going forward roll on the next one.

2. Good to hear, ours starts in April. However looking at the training plan it seems to be all field firing to Coy level - which is never a bad thing I suppose!

3. Nothing heard here. Would I sound daft if I asked what DIE was?

4. Can't remember what it stands for but it's an enhance Infantry trg plan basically. The idea you get like a work book and when you've done certain things it gets signed off (ie ACMT, IBSR, UGL Trg etc) with the aim to get you to a class 1 rifleman and thus deployable. The training is more Afghan specific with a view to get us ready to slide straight into a regular Bns PDT cycle without needing much or any additional training by the receiving Battalion.

I think.

5. directive infantry employment basically as whiskey says its compulsory training (not just shooting/weapon systems but also patrolling skills, fieldcraft, section/plt attacks) riflemen must complete before going on ops. It also has benefit to those not involved in ops to brush up on skills and knowledge

6. Someone needs to tell our CO that, it's mainly field firing so far for us!

7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Is this from the 2XX Herrick mounting order, or something locally produced?

I have never heard of it either!

8. Odd, as it's come straight from DInf! It's very new, it comes with a booklet explaining it all.

Maybe it's just for us 'hats' Dukey.

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Nice of you to catch us up at last! :D

We are currently focussed on the MST which appears to be the DIE+, so maybe that is why it has not reared it's ugly head with us so far. I will await with great enthusiasm.

10. I think the idea is it's a hard set of guidelines on what a TA Infanteer should be trained to before rocking up at Chillwell and how each Bns should be influenced by that. Rather than one Bn doing one thing and others doing something different.

The end result should be better trained Reservists getting in amongst it with their Regular oppos with more confidence on both sides. The Soldier, knowing he's had a good trg package rather than just CIC and PDT, and the receiving unit that each of their TA IRs have completed a set amount of training rather than having wildly varied skill sets.

All in all a positive thing, untill the budget get's cut again!

11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Hmm,

It does sound very much like the 2Div mounting order for H13 which is very detailed (and prescriptive) on the TOs which must be met to minimise the training gap between TA Infantry soldiers and those in the receiving unit.

All MATTs to level 1, UGL, LMG, pistol, LFMT to Pl level by day and night, COIN doctrine, fitness etc, etc.

12. That's the one, that same directive is now going to be across the board for every TA Infantry unit. Which is fantastic, my Bn is seeing less Sunday morning first light assaults on Forestry blocks and more FOBs, fighting patrols, and range time. We've got GPMG, Grenade, and UGL live fire this year also which is a treat for us.

13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Welcome to the new millenium - I hope you enjoy your time catching up!

(It is great, as long as you have the training bid priority to support it - which you are only likely to get if earmarked for the next 1 or 2 rotations of the Herrick OCP)

14. H15 & 16, so we've got loads of cash!

15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

In that case, you are about to embark on probably the most enjoyable and beneficial phase of training you are ever likely to receive as TA Inf.

I can only encourage you to make the very most of it while the budget supports it.