First degree, will Army pay for tuition fees?

Hello,

I am looking to start studying for my first degree, which at the minute is looking to be studying Law. Currently served 6 years, and have been informed about the ELCAS Scheme.

This scheme though only seems to provide small payments of either £1000-2000 a year, for three years going towards the overall tuition fees.

Is someone able to clear this is up? I have reached out to the IERO, and now waiting to hear back from them.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Unless it's Dentist, Doctor or Engineer I would hope not.

UKTAP

LE
I doubt there's anything beyond ELCAS and SLC, which will only cover a small part of the fees. Then again, unless you're planning on ending up the ALS, why would the Army pay for you to leave the Army?

MortonSlumber

Old-Salt
If work/trade related have you tried your regiments association as they sometimes help.
However if you are going out of trade, like Law you might get nothing unless your AGC.
As said, once you have a LLB/BA Law & 1 year Legal Practice Course (LPC) you can practice as a solicitor?

Yes.

There's little advertised section in the JSP that covers exactly this.

If you don’t already have a degree the Army will fund your first one in entirety. This is how I got my law degree.

If you have any ELCAS credit remaining this will used first.

If you want to get the most out of educational opportunities whilst serving use your ELCAS first, just not to a degree standard, then apply for funding for your degree.

If work/trade related have you tried your regiments association as they sometimes help.
However if you are going out of trade, like Law you might get nothing unless your AGC.
As said, once you have a LLB/BA Law & 1 year Legal Practice Course (LPC) you can practice as a solicitor?
The route is:

1. LLB, or BA Law - ordinarily 3 years duration for a full-time degree,
2. Legal Practice Course (LPC) - ordinarily one year full-time, or two years part-time,
3. the period of recognised training, or articles, in house in a firm of solicitors - two years.

Or, if you already have a degree you can take a post-graduate diploma in law taking the common professional exams of the law society. This "conversion course" ordinarily takes one year full-time, or two years part-time, it is assumed that applicants are that much more mature. Applicants only undertake the meat & veg of what is tucked away in a law degree rather than having to take all the associated padding. You still have to do the LPC and articles if you want to be a solicitor, or go through the mill to be a barrister.

I knew a para Tom who had no first degree, after leaving the army worked for an MBA through the CMS, DMS and MBA route went on to do a post-grad diploma (CPE) in law, did the LPC and articles and is now a solicitor in Lahndun. A young donkey walloper officer was on the same CPE course and went on to be a barrister at a very nice chambers in Lahndun.

Quite a few law grad's either do not bother with the LPC, or cannot afford the time and end up in banking and insurance. The majority of the compliance and fraud prevention teams at a couple of banks the Mrs worked at were law graduates.

The Law Practice Course costs in the region of £16k. I believe the work is now completed in syndicates.

Personally it wasn’t for me.

The Law Practice Course costs in the region of £16k. I believe the work is now completed in syndicates.

Personally it wasn’t for me.
£10k around '97/'98, if I remember correctly.

It is a long old slog and the thing is you can not be assured of getting articles. I saw some very clever people giving up their dream and having to settle for working for a bank, building society or insurer, I even met a couple who had become estate agents.

The two chaps I mentioned above: The para had part sponsorship from his employer and was guaranteed articles, the donkey walloper had family connections.

Latest Threads