First Commander and chief instructor of the IDF Paras - Tom Derek Bowden

RIP Tom Bowden - that was a hell of an innings

1560328065925.png

Tributes have been paid to the non-Jewish soldier from Britain who went to fight for the new State of Israel in the 1948 War of Independence and who later commanded Israel’s first paratrooper regiment.

Tom Derek Bowden, a South London cavalry officer who died on Monday aged 97, was one of 5,000 foreigners who volunteered to fight for the nascent State of Israel from abroad. They became known by the Hebrew acronym ‘Machal.’

Tom Derek Bowden | World Machal

View attachment 398175
Tributes have been paid to the non-Jewish soldier from Britain who went to fight for the new State of Israel in the 1948 War of Independence and who later commanded Israel’s first paratrooper regiment.

Tom Derek Bowden, a South London cavalry officer who died on Monday aged 97, was one of 5,000 foreigners who volunteered to fight for the nascent State of Israel from abroad. They became known by the Hebrew acronym ‘Machal.’

R.I.P Sir. Interesting life indeed. I wonder how he felt when fighting the Arab Legion, knowing that it was commanded and supplied by Britain.

View attachment 398175

I had just been reading about Him last week. And a guy called Mike Flanagan who arguably was the founder of the IDF Armored Corps. Alav ha Shalom.

Latest Threads