First Car Accident

Old_Sparky_RE

Old-Salt
Hello All,
After 35 years of driving I have just had my first accident.
30mph road, I was travelling at 22 as I had just entered the new road. Further up the road on my side were 3 parked cars with a car behind behind them with its right indicator going. So about 7-10 seconds have passed since I see this car and it has not moved (the road was clear for them to overtake these parked cars that full time) so I continue and overtook them.
Just as I pass, they pullout and clip my rear left tyre with there front right tyre and their front bumper leaving black rubber on both cars and a scuff on their bumper.
After exchanging detail etc we both go on our way. Hopefully they will see that it won't be worth reporting to the insurance and that will be the end.

So I see it as a 50/50 or even 80/20 in my favour as they clearly didn't use there mirrors before pulling away.

To the collective ARRSE what are your views on this and should it go to the insurance company's?

Last edited:

Old_Sparky_RE

Old-Salt
Their fault 100% relax and chalk it up to experience.
Well if it does go further I hope the insurers see it that way too.

brightspark

Swinger
The way the insurers will see it, is that they will make sure that you will all pay a lot more premium come next renewal. I had gone 36 years before my first, woman hit my car while I was parked in in a supermarket car park ( I was in the store). She fessed up - honest to the point of me hearing my reg shouted out over the tannoy - she went straight to customer service and spilt the beans, all upset, we exchanged details etc. It was defo accepted as a "no fault" for my policy by my insurer, but still the premium leapt up next renewal.
It's bit like fuel prices, doesn't matter what has happened to affect the cost, the price at the pump rarely goes down.
This year had my first prang that was my fault, as did other half a couple of months after mine. I've always gone for protected no claims when that's been on offer but reckon it will make bugger all difference to the price increase when I get the renewal through.

Old_Sparky_RE

Old-Salt
The way the insurers will see it, is that they will make sure that you will all pay a lot more premium come next renewal. I had gone 36 years before my first, woman hit my car while I was parked in in a supermarket car park ( I was in the store). She fessed up - honest to the point of me hearing my reg shouted out over the tannoy - she went straight to customer service and spilt the beans, all upset, we exchanged details etc. It was defo accepted as a "no fault" for my policy by my insurer, but still the premium leapt up next renewal.
It's bit like fuel prices, doesn't matter what has happened to affect the cost, the price at the pump rarely goes down.
This year had my first prang that was my fault, as did other half a couple of months after mine. I've always gone for protected no claims when that's been on offer but reckon it will make bugger all difference to the price increase when I get the renewal through.
That is why I hope they don't report it as I know the premium would shoot up for both of us.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you Ronnie Pickering?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Here's an odd one.

Wife got a registered letter the other day from the Sheriffs Court (Scotland).

Some bint with a Range Rover who had a small dink with my missus 2 years ago (insurers treated as a 50/50 and paid out to both parties) has sued my missus for her insurance excess, personal time waisted plus 8% interest for 2 years. All to the tune of just under £800.

We are not sure how to go about fighting it but it's totally ludicrous.

Here's an odd one.

Some bint with a Range Rover who had a small dink with my missus 2 years ago (insurers treated as a 50/50 and paid out to both parties) has sued my missus for her insurance excess, personal time waisted plus 8% interest for 2 years. All to the tune of just under £800.

Have you legal cover on your car insurance? I would start by contacting the insurance company you were with and who settled.

8% interest? Having a giraffe aren’t they.

Have you legal cover on your car insurance? I would start by contacting the insurance company you were with and who settled.

8% interest? Having a giraffe aren’t they.

She's obviously miffed at having to pay out £600 excess, but that's the chance you take when getting your policy.

g4eddie

Old-Salt
Here's an odd one.

Tell bint -with-Range-rover to do-one or you will counter sue for your increase , plus 10% etc....

Old_Sparky_RE

Old-Salt
An update @ugly you we’re correct.

The lady reported the accident to her insurance company who then contacted mine etc, while this claim was on going she texted me and said she had taken her car in for a service 3 days after the accident and they wiped off the rubber residue from her front bumper and all was good. But because she reported it I’ve now got to put it down as an accident for the next 3-5 years even though it was a £0 pay out - BUGGER!
My insurance company on looking at my dash cam vid have put her 100% at blame and I can make a claim against her insurance for a hike in my future premiums but I’ll have to pay/lose £350 excess.

Then go to a different company then. There's plenty of the robbing filth out there.

Latest Threads