First Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim & Sikh Chaplains

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MOD_Oracle, Oct 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Annoyingly, the BBC yesterday led with the headline 'First non-Christian Chaplains appointed'.

I have, on a previous occasion, pointed out that Jewish Chaplains have been with the Forces for many years, and that Gurkhas, with their own Priests/whatever, are certainly not Christians! (Not sure what - Hindu/Animist?)
  2. As far as I know there is only one serving Satanist and he is in the Navy, hardly worth getting him his own Chaplin (or whatever it is they’re called) :roll:
  3. We had a Chaplain when at DQD who was about as Christian as Saddam Hussein! Fat idle pompous greedy double-barrelled waste of rations, and a disgrace to both his calling and our uniform. Things weren't helped by the rabid Catholic CO who prevailed at the time.
  4. I was under the impression that all of these religions had previously had appointed representatives in HM Forces?
  5. OldSnowy

I am pretty sure that there have ben non-Chaplain Faith Representatives or somesuch for a long time. But as for this story - in true Neue Arbeit style, they have re-issued 'Good News' again. This from an MoD Press Release last year:

"MOD to Appoint Non-Christian Chaplains

Serial No: 190/04 Date: 07/12/2004

Civilian chaplains from the Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim and Sikh faith communities will be appointed to the Armed Forces, Defence Minister Ivor Caplin MP, announced today. "

When this was announced then, I complained about their 'forgetting' the Jewish Chaplains, only to see it happen again yesterday.

Anyone would think that someone was trying to airbrush these Gents out, in order to appeal further to the large Hindu/Moslem/Sikh community. Shome mishtake, shurely :)

P.S. For 'community' above, read 'electorate'.
  6. Simply wait. As we know mr.Satan is very mighty person and probabliy he would apply some efforts to increase this number. In this case it would be logical to form satanist crew on a warship (preferably not nuclear). Btw, with help of mr.Satan this vessel could be very effective.
  7. Fair enough, but it's a big expense appointing four chaplains to minister to the 845 members of the armed forces who are of these religions. Why couldn't they appoint honorary officiating chaplains (as done for the Jewish members)? It must be cheaper.
  8. Welcome aboard to all of them!

I hope they're as mad as ones we've got serving already, nowt better than a nutter of a padre to lift spirits. (Or drink them!)

Being Agnostic I can happily ignore all of what they have to preach whilst still being able to have a good winge at them all. :)

9. Surely Buddhism is entirely pacifist? To my knowledge it is the only major world religion that has no "Just War" concept. So what would a Buddhist be doing in the Armed Forces, let alone need a chaplain?
  10. It seems to me that namely Buddhists defeated mighty American armed forces 30 years ago.
  11. This is news is it?

It's like 300 years of Empire never happened. What next "Commonwealth recruits join the Army for the first time"?
  12. Hear hear PTP.
  13. OldSnowy

It is, as usual, all about spin. We issue the news in 2004, and the same news again in 2005.

We commit money to something in 2004, then again (the same money) in 2005.

It happens all the time now, it's just a bit sad that we are being implicated in this sort of thing.