First black minister to aplogise for the evils of slave trad

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bowser-Mong, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Baroness Amos, the leader of the House of Lords, is to "express her regret" for the "evil of the slave trade" when she visits Africa (courtesy of The Daily Telegraph. Sorry no link).

Why does every minister feel the necessity to apologise for something that occurred over 200 years ago. We had a major part in its abolition it happened it is in the past so get over it and do something more fcuking constructive like trying to sort out this country's fckunig mess thanks to this ba5tard useless Government.

Even better why not apologise to the families of personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan and those serving for the crap wages, members of the emergency services for the 5hit they have to put up with, etc, etc.

:pissedoff: :pissedoff: :pissedoff: :pissedoff: :frustrated: :frustrated: :pissedoff: :threaten: :headbang:
  2. msr

msr LE

I trust the Ghanaian tribal chiefs will also be apologising for their part too.

3. Why when she goes to Africa? The only descendants of slaves in Africa are descendants of the slaves freed from Slavers at sea by the Royal Navy and established as free men in Liberia.
    The slaves were sold by africans and shipped to North America. Why aren't West African politicians going to the Caribbean and Southern USA, (Brixton for that matter) and apologising? Useless grandstanding muppet.
  4. Because it panders to those that teach 'Black history'.

I'm NOT a racist but I don't see colour, creed or gender being some sort of differentiating factor in the teaching of a subject. I also don't think we are directly responsible for the acts of our forefathers.

Or our foremothers in case anybody complains.
  5. ...As long as in the same breath she points out that we are not going to be paying any reparations.

We've done this thread before, but I personally wish that one of our more cosmetic and less busy ministers would find time to apologise for the nation's sins that also include:

The Dome
    The Saxon Fyrd's poor performance at Hastings
    The shoddy northern lintel at Stonehenge
  6. does this mean the fisheads will be coming over to apologise for the vikings?
  7. msr

msr LE

8. Ah well. If it wasn't for the slave trade she wouldn't be in the House of Lords would she.
  9. It's a good thing that England doesn't have an assembly - its first minister would be forever on 'apology tour':

Offas Dyke, Hadrian's Wall, Longshanks, Potato Famines etc. He'd never get anything done.
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Why aren't the We4st Side Boys of Sierra Leone apologising, or the French, the Americans, the Spanish, the Arabs, the Africans, the Italians, the Dutch, the Portugese, the Russians, the Chinese, the Japanese, North Korea, the Germans . . . er . . . who have I forgotten?
  11. At least somebody might be happy but I have told him a million times not to exagerate.
  12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

When I read the thread title I thought for a foolish second:

" Crikey - an African leader has finally 'fessed up that his own people cheerfully sold many of their fellows to the white devils for a handful of beads, a Tower musket and a bottle of Old Bearhugger "

More European guilt-tripping then......Dog bites man headline....

Silly me.....

Le Chevre
  13. TOSSER !! this Rasta did himself out a medal over a misconception, I have only one message.... Slavery is finished here, had been for over 200 years, one word to all black people with a chip on their shoulder
    "Get over it and don't blame others for your shortcomings"

It was good enough for Colin Powell, Amos, Bernie Grant, Linford Christie, Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, John Barnes, "Cwith" Eubank, the black manager down my local McDonalds, "Black John" who works in my office, the black shelf stacker in Tescos, they all are getting on with it in either UK and US (even tho they were 30 years late) none of them moan about "is it cos I is Black" nope they just get on, lots of white are in poverty and not working but they don't kick off about "is it cos I is white" , they are just finding someone to blame and not facing up to their inability.

we have a lot to be proud of, we should be beating that drum loud and proud, we were first to free the slaves, we enforced it on the world and changed it,, not chest beating wailing oh sooooo sorry !

also notice I now longer qualify my comment with "Im not racist" before mentioning colour of other people skins, we shouldn't be afraid of our shadow, I don't hear a Black person say "I am not racist" before mentioning a white person's skin colour.
  14. It is an old report but this is the sort of person that these apologies seem to be aimed at. And yes he is a TOSSER of the highest TOSSER order. But he is not alone.

History isn't always pleasant apart from victories over the French but to apologize to anybody and everybody who might have had a bit of a hard time in years gone by is just grovelling and I do wonder how sincere the apology is.

Sincerely looking for votes perhaps?
  15. Argentina for Maradonna's goal scored by the 'Hand of God' :shakefist:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.