First Bike..........

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by HH_2, Sep 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought I'd ask here as there seem to be a lot of keen bikers around.

Just getting into two wheeled transport, at the moment have done CBT and got a practical if not exactly cool 125cc scooter but would really like to upgrade to a proper bike when I can afford to.

Was thinking about doing the A1 test where you can have up to 33bhp bike for 2 years, as I'm not 21 until next year.

Not got much of a clue what would be a good first bike though, in terms of being reasonably fun/affordable but not likely to leave me as a smear on the tarmac as a first time/inexperienced rider, and obviously within the power restriction.....................

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    HH_2

2. Raliegh Chopper, I think you can get them with removable stabilisers which is a bonus

3. If you go via direct access, buy a second hand Suzuki Bandit 600cc. Cheap to buy and running costs are affordable. Its also fast, handles well, looks quite good and for a first bike is top notch.

Ive had 4 of them (3x600cc and 1x1200cc) and all have done me right through a cold Scottish winter.

4. [​IMG]

5. Chipper, Grifter and then a Chopper :wink:

6. i recently passed my practical for A2 restricted. Am looking to buy a Kawasaki ninja 250R next spring. Its built at just under 33bhp for the riders with the 2 year restriction. It has sportsbike looks, but managable acceleration, and power, and from the reviews is quite agile and easy to handle. not bad at 08 plate around 3K.

Alternatively my mate is trying to convince me about a Suzuki SV650 with a restrictor.

edited to add picture.

Attached Files:

7. Nice wheels 8)

Smart arse barsteward having time to post piccies

8. Stay on your 125 for the time being building up your ncb on insurance. Then do direct access when you are 21. Work your way up as and when cash & experience permits.

My first 'big' bike was a GPZ500S - good bulletproof bike.

9. whatever you get the insurance premium will cripple you.
    Clearly budget-in servicing costs and RFL etc... etc...

Bandit is good. as been mentioned. the SV650 faired / unfaired pretty good starter. Fazer 600 too.

Ive never owned a 33bhp restricted bike, so I'm unable to comment, but would summise you would get bored may be? Although would be great for "learning on".

You could enroll on an advanced m/cycle riders course/test.

10. 1. Curry's own brand cycle
    2. Raleigh Gadabout moped
    3. Lambretta 150cc scooter
    4. Vespa 160cc scooter
    5. Triumph Tiger Cub
    6. Arial Leader
    7. Velocette Venom
    8. Sunbeam S8

Never did manage to get my dream bike - a Triton. :(

11. 1. Curry's own brand cycle
    2. Raleigh Gadabout moped
    3. Lambretta 150cc scooter
    4. Vespa 160cc scooter
    5. Triumph Tiger Cub
    6. Ariel Leader
    7. Velocette Venom
    8. Sunbeam S8

Never did manage to get my dream bike - a Triton. :(

12. Only one bike for a beginner

[​IMG]

13. nice - is that a CBX in the shed there??

14. By taking your test as soon as possible on a 125 is it likely that the overall cost of lessons/test etc will be recouped in the first couple of years by you paying lower insurance premiums?

15. If you can find one. Economical 50mpg+, very forgiving handling, not quick but enough low down torque to get you out of trouble. Try and get one with some kind of service history as the final drive is a toothed belt.
    Try and avoid anything 'race replica' until you`ve got a couple of years under your belt, as they tend to make people think they can go balls out everywhere. 8)