First army base

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Jayabbo, Apr 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's the chances of your first army base been abroad after basic training ??

As I know there are a few in Germany and one in northern island
  2. Northern Ireland isnt abroad.
  3. It is when your from Birmingham And where is abroad
  4. NI is part of the UK, have a look on your passport (if youve got one, if you havent got one youre not going anywhere) it sayings 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'

You could get: Cyprus, Germany, Canada, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Sierra Leone (loan service)

its in no way the entire list but gives you an idea of where you could go. Although you have to actually be in the army to get posted. Good luck with your basic training.
  5. A quick point for you. You don't get posted to 'bases', you get posted to units, who generally live in barracks, or camps. Never bases, Bases are for the RAF and Navy.
  6. So you would get posted at these places straight after basic training ???
  7. All dependent on your job/role and if a unit needs that job doing/slot filling.

You will put in a preference of where you want to go (unit wise) and by then you will have an idea of where everyone is. Most people get the first choice, but a fair few dont... I know a lad who put Germany, Germany, Germany and got NI. The army puts its needs first...

Why the concern? A posting to germany/cyprus isnt too bad to start off, unless your worries are girlfriend based...
  8. Worries are girlfriend based so that why the worries if it happens it happens but if had the chose I would prefer to stay in england just wanted to know if your first army home (what ever it's called ) would be away from England
  9. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

IMHO a posting abroad is probably the best way forward, i enjoyed every minute of Fd Sqns in Germany, Cyprus and Canada.

and to be honest my last UK posting was a shithole. Except Chatham which has to be a right of passage ;)

Also consider that wherever you get posted to, there's a strong possibility of a tour in a hot dusty place, so you may be seperated from your girlfriend for half the year anyway
  10. 10 Regiments in England, 3 in Germany and 1 in Northern Ireland so you have about a 28.57% chance of being posted outside England. Is that good enough for you?

Bear in mind that unless they can cap it at the source they are very much battling against natural time and tide. Justice knows no bounds or will where the old water is concerned. Clare Burnett was just 22.
  11. you may find you and your girlfriend go your sepasrate ways not long after you join, youll want to spend more time with your new mates, unless shes happy for you to split your free weekends between going to see her and getting out on the lash with the lads and having crazy adventures (and dorty wimmin).
  12. Nah that won't happen as all my mates are in the army and have there mrs and that
  13. we will see :) but good luck with it.
  14. To support both sides, i had mates in training who had girlfriends they "loved and would be with forever" phase two hit, nights in blandford on the piss followed and girlfriends didnt stick around. However, im still with my missus, been with her since before the army... she is one of the ones who doesnt mind the nights out, split prioritys and training/course/tour commitments...

Good luck
  15. Yeah but I'm 28 and had enough birds want to settle down now so all good