First armed forces swine flu victim

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by seabrook3, Aug 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A soldier has become the first to die of swine flu from Britain's armed forces.

link

This is really sad news

2. I knew Lee and as well as being a Bdr in the TA he was a SMI in the ACF.

My condolences go to his parents and brother.

RIP.

3. RIP what a shite way for a young man to go

4. I was very sorry to hear about Lee's death as I was his Tp Comd for 2 years and knew him for the last 8. He had a heart of gold and I doubt if I've ever known someone with such enthusiasm and dedication for the TA and ACF.

I salute you Lee.

RIP.

5. What a miserable way to go. Is that the best picture of the poor chap that they could find?

It makes you wonder what the wider implications could be if this latest strain of 'flu got a grip in Afghanistan.

RIP young man.

6. Not knowing the guy at all I have to ask what possible underlying health problems could he have had if he was still serving... Can't they just admit a very very small percentage of people will die of pig flu even if they are otherwise healthy...

Sad day for his family

7. Poor lad RIP

8. Without wanting to give too much personal or medical details about Lee, I can understand the "underlying health problems" remark, not that his problems were particularly serious on a day to day basis.

And infact, now that I know some of the details, it scares me a little to think that swine flu plus minor health issues such as his can lead to death so quickly.

The threat from the illness is much worse than I thought.

9. There is nothing more I can say that hasn't already been said. Lee was just a tremendously good bloke, and I was really shocked to hear of his passing.

My thoughts are with his family and friends. I only hope they find comfort that in Lee's short life he influenced so many people in such a good way.

Rest well Lee.

10. The NHS have already admitted that, although as you say, the percentages are very small.

11. R.I.P mate. :(

12. RIP soldier :(

13. Indeedy, very small.

Most of the blokes at the beach are on Tamiflu at the moment. I have a cold and a chest infection, and it doesn't hurt - much. I made it out on Friday, and probably passed it on.

It's a Cold.

14. Before dragging this off topic, condolences to Lee's family.

Personally (and I'm involved with the swine flu plans at work) I wouldn't take Tamiflu at any price. Side effects are dreadful and it doesn't do much to help unless you're immuno-compromised or suffer from a chronic repuiratory condition like asthma or COPD. Our GPs are being grown up and explaining the side effects so we've seen far less people for Tamiflu than we thought.

15. Added to which there are ALREADY Tamiflu resistant strains floating about!