First Aid kit for a car

In preparing his car First Aid kit, has Themanwho:

• Done the right thing - BZ!

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • Gone a little bit OTT, but the idea is sound (you saddo).

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • A bit scary, but erm okay... Why don't you join St Johns Ambulance?

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Mummy, keep the scary man away from my sore bits!

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • One step away from a prepper's stash in the woods - get a fcuking life.

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters

Slime

LE
Only quacks use "Duck tape".
Get yourself some "Duct tape"

Do you think they use it to repair their duck ponds? :)

C98107A2-E27F-4429-8FEC-D6758228B49D.png

The one thing I wish I had in my car would be a face mask for CPR, or one of those rigid masks that goes over the face. I usually carry a small torch, and a few litres of water.

I should carry a high vis vest, and I would prefer to have some of those grey bandages - from Israel? I also usually have something like duck tape for emergency use.

Get long sleeves - the waistcoat type aren't visible from the side. Or go for a jacket, then you've got better weather protection if required.

Slime

LE
Specially marketed for the halfwits that called it Duck tape.

Could well be, or it could be because duck tape came first and it was many decades later that the name and product duct tape was coined.

There is also the funny thing that generally foil tape is used on ducts :)
I’ve certainly never bodged a duct installation by putting black (or silver) nasty on it :)

Yokel

LE
Get long sleeves - the waistcoat type aren't visible from the side. Or go for a jacket, then you've got better weather protection if required.
What about a fluorescent suit - jacket and trousers with fluorescent tie? Maybe not so useful at the roadside but it would make me stand out at interviews!

Specially marketed for the halfwits that called it Duck tape.

It was the original brand!

I'm not! I remember a campaign which had a photo of a driver collapsed on top of his tanker - opened a lid and whatever it was inside gassed him.

Solvent abuse and driving do not mix.

Are you really saying that in 'the good old days' tankers went up and down the highways without anyone having a clue what was inside?

Last edited:
I was 11 when they were introduced. ;)

I won't do the Maths!

Back to First Aid Kits - because I'm, er, careful with money - I was in Home Bargains the other week. Picked up a little kit for £2.79. I thought it was almost worth that for the pouch, but inside there was a small-ish but good selection of items. Something about the labelling and packing made me think it was good quality stuff. Could be chucked stright in the car, man bag, daysack and you'd have something useful.

My first aid kit was provided free of charge when I did a driver first assist course at work. Came with a hi-vis vest and head torch included. (Psst, it was 1978 ;) )

My first aid kit was provided free of charge when I did a driver first assist course at work. Came with a hi-vis vest and head torch included. (Psst, it was 1978 ;) )

I've just remembered, there was something called Tremcard before Hazchem, Transport Emergency Card. I think this was only carried in the cab - no external markings. I guess that was a UK thing, superseded by the international Hazchem

Tremcards are still in use, the driver carries them in the cab. Hazchem boards tell attending services at a glance what's on board.

Could well be, or it could be because duck tape came first and it was many decades later that the name and product duct tape was coined.

There is also the funny thing that generally foil tape is used on ducts :)
I’ve certainly never bodged a duct installation by putting black (or silver) nasty on it :)
Well, duck my old foots:
""Duck tape" is recorded in the Oxford English Dictionary as having been in use since 1899;[2] "duct tape" (described conservatively as "perhaps an alteration of earlier duck tape") since 1965.[3]"

I'll stick to "Black nasty" although I bought (yes bought, no more acquiring from the Q) some Gorilla Tape last year. By Christ, I struggled to get it off the roll!
The first victim girlfriend I used it on wasn't best pleased.

I've upgraded to T-Rex tape. I also use it to do my back, sack and crack. Germolene helps afterwards.

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
The producer and customer would know - but not necessarily the drivers. This was the 1960's
HAZMAT Labels and Numbers were introduced in 1975, because of the mispronunciations of different chemicals, a number was assigned to each chemical and the class of chemical, IE Flammable, Corrosive, etc. In an emergency, it is easier to communicate the Hazmat number than try to pronounce Cyclohexylamine to an operator who is just waiting to go home who could easily pass on the wrong information to the response team.
All Drivers carrying Hazardous materials must complete and pass a Hazmat course in order to transport any of the 62,000 Dangerous material listed on the Hazmat table.
All Hazmat vehicles must carry a first aid kit, as was the BFPO requirement for BFG vehicles complying with German Law.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I have a PowerPoint presentation called never going home again. Once you watch that, you'll never drive again.
You've never seen it then.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Carbide head torch ?