Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Aid kit for a car

In preparing his car First Aid kit, has Themanwho:

• Done the right thing - BZ!

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Gone a little bit OTT, but the idea is sound (you saddo).

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • A bit scary, but erm okay... Why don't you join St Johns Ambulance?

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Mummy, keep the scary man away from my sore bits!

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • One step away from a prepper's stash in the woods - get a fcuking life.

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
I asked my girlfriend about the kit they have to carry here in Germany. As well as an in date first aid kit which is checked when they have their version of MOT (TUF Test I think) they must have sufficient hi vis vests for all the occupants within the car (not kept in the boot) plus the usual warning triangle.
She carrys four vests.
We always advise drivers not to use warning triangles on the motorway, the air turbulence generated by LGVs can drag them out into live lanes where they become a missile.

Got a decent car sized kit upgraded with extra stuff but I will review it in light of info posted above. Justification for a new set of snips.

snips.jpg

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
Chatting with a Doctor friend of mine (a Mountain Rescue Paramedic in his spare time) he does not recommend anything to do with Mouth to Mouth resuscitation in the current pandemic climate.
Current protocol is nothing which could create an aerosol. That is rescue breaths, cpr compressions (unless you can place a mask on them) or airway adjuncts.

That said, a few of us in the team would assess the situation and do what we needed to depending on the situation.

80yr old cardiac a mile from the road = dead
5yr old near drowning = move heaven and earth

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
Came out as advice years ago - Vinnie Jones did an advert on it. Essentially, most people get put off starting anything because they don’t want to do the rescue breaths first. It’s also apparently rare to find a non-breathing casualty with a pulse. I’m sure a medic can post the time from stopping breathing to heart stopping. However, the event I described above when a woman collapsed behind me saw her fit, then stop breathing. I went into rescue breaths but no compressions as she had a pulse. The shop first-aider came along and being 19 yrs old and at 20,000 feet, i gallantly let her take over. It was only when she went to start doing chest compressions that I stopped panicking enough to point out the woman had a pulse and the first-aider was about to get an expensive hand puppet. Thankfully the woman started breathing again at that point. I understand the dilemma for advice givers though. The situation I was in was far less common and undoubtedly people will have died because a first responder didn’t want to give rescue breaths and so stayed quiet or didn’t just do compressions.
The Basic Life Support training given to most people doesn't teach you to check for a pulse. You have DRSAB but no C. If they're unresponsive (the U in AVPU) and not breathing you go scream for an ambulance and AED then go straight in to rescue breaths (if you want to) and compressions. Then you pray someone turns up before you pass out from exhaustion.!

The added advantage of a Highways patrol car arriving first on scene at a cardiac arrest is all of our cars are now fitted with AEDs. ;)

I couldn't tell you to be honest, most of our local patrols didn't have them last time I checked.

One thing I will say is- ALWAYS be well aware of which motorway you are on and wwhere you are on it- which junction passed etc. Marker post numbers. Nothing worse than someone phoning in saying "just seen a big crash and car burst into flames... er on the motorway... er Im heading to Edinburgh but I think we passed Birmingham about 30 minutes ago..."
"Somebody is wrong side of barriers on a bridge Ive just gone under...dont know what road is but I can see an ASDA...Just outside of <nearest city>"

That's quite a regular example. Its normally a bloke driving who hands phone to passenger to phone it in as well. If you passed such an incident at any given notice- would you know where you were roughly?

The Basic Life Support training given to most people doesn't teach you to check for a pulse. You have DRSAB but no C. If they're unresponsive (the U in AVPU) and not breathing you go scream for an ambulance and AED then go straight in to rescue breaths (if you want to) and compressions. Then you pray someone turns up before you pass out from exhaustion.!
My experience was such an outlier. I’d just done a fairly intensive course, I heard her collapse and had the arrogance of youth. For the woman it all worked out ok.

I completely understand why the training is set up as it is. I think it’s something like 3 minutes from stopping breathing to cardiac arrest so unless you’re like me and hear a thud behind you, you’re probably dealing with someone without a pulse. Chest compressions might help. Not doing chest compressions because you don’t want to snog them won’t.

One thing I will say is- ALWAYS be well aware of which motorway you are on and wwhere you are on it- which junction passed etc. Marker post numbers. Nothing worse than someone phoning in saying "just seen a big crash and car burst into flames... er on the motorway... er Im heading to Edinburgh but I think we passed Birmingham about 30 minutes ago..."
"Somebody is wrong side of barriers on a bridge Ive just gone under...dont know what road is but I can see an ASDA...Just outside of <nearest city>"

That's quite a regular example. Its normally a bloke driving who hands phone to passenger to phone it in as well. If you passed such an incident at any given notice- would you know where you were roughly?
If you need to phone in an incident on the motorway, if possible, try and use an emergency roadside telephone (ERT) they are spaced a mile apart. The Highways England Regional Operations Centre (HEROC) will be able to identify your exact location. If you need to phone on your mobile, you can ring 999 and give your location as SM has put, (see photo) you can also ring the HE National Traffic Operations Centre (NTOC) on 0300 123 5000, save it on your phone, they will take the information and pass it to the nearest control centre, who in turn will task a traffic officer patrol and the required emergency services. ;)
DfPL1R0W0AAPLck.jpg

UKRaider

Old-Salt
Great post! Reminded me to update my 2 kits (Kitchen and Car)

What3Words is on my main phone page (previously mentioned here) for location, along with the excellent First Aid App

My main problem at one incident was the Ambulance operator response was 'sorry can't help at the moment' Really useful! So I recalled 999 and asked for Fire assistance. Same response!
Not great when you have a screaming child with a broken leg.

Probably worth remembering that one of the first things that the ambulance crew will do is remove all the stuff that you've spent ages applying. Consequently, only apply the bare minimum needed to preserve life and prevent deterioration. Just because you have a well-stocked first aid kit, doesn't mean you have to use it.

Arterial bleed? Put the tourniquet away and apply pressure to a pressure point.

Cut? - leave the bandages alone and apply direct pressure.

Broken bones? - Forget the splint, hold the casualty still.

Obviously, there'll be occasions, such as if you're alone, when you need to put this stuff on to allow you to progress around multiple injuries but, by and large, there'll be people around to assist and a carefully-placed hand will promote reassurance more than swathes of bandages that may cause more discomfort.

It’s definitely OTT, all you need is a brufen and tubigrip and maybe some black nasty to stick bits of people back together again, just like they did with me.

No point me carrying anything, i dont like any cünt, so I wont be helping them anyway.

Plus a blank biff chit (to be filled in at the time of incident) and a portable laminator to laminate the said biff chit once completed.

You know somebody is going to pull you for not attending drill and PT.

Came out as advice years ago - Vinnie Jones did an advert on it. Essentially, most people get put off starting anything because they don’t want to do the rescue breaths first. It’s also apparently rare to find a non-breathing casualty with a pulse. I’m sure a medic can post the time from stopping breathing to heart stopping. However, the event I described above when a woman collapsed behind me saw her fit, then stop breathing. I went into rescue breaths but no compressions as she had a pulse. The shop first-aider came along and being 19 yrs old and at 20,000 feet, i gallantly let her take over. It was only when she went to start doing chest compressions that I stopped panicking enough to point out the woman had a pulse and the first-aider was about to get an expensive hand puppet. Thankfully the woman started breathing again at that point. I understand the dilemma for advice givers though. The situation I was in was far less common and undoubtedly people will have died because a first responder didn’t want to give rescue breaths and so stayed quiet or didn’t just do compressions.

Just clearing an airway often works. The body generally wants to breathe. Got to a bounce who wasn't breathing. The minute I cleared an airway he started on his own, as I was about to commence doing it for him.

Got a decent car sized kit upgraded with extra stuff but I will review it in light of info posted above. Justification for a new set of snips.

View attachment 513752

CRKT do a rescue knife with interchangeable blades and a blunt end for cutting through seatbelts, clothing and so on. Apparently designed by a medic during the Iraq/Afghanistan hair pulling thing for dealing with battlefield casevacs. Cut out on shoulder is useful for O2 cylinders.

Last edited:

On a motorway? You've have to be a moron not to, plus the police/HE operator will ask you to look for one of these:

Edit: Beaten to it by to it by a tosser, the shame.

On a motorway? You've have to be a moron not to, plus the police/HE operator will ask you to look for one of these:

Edit: Beaten to it by to it by a tosser, the shame.
You’d be surprised just how many “morons” there are then. Simple questions such as “are you headed north or southbound” are often replied with...”er...I’m going to Liverpool” etc.

Latest Threads