Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Aid kit for a car

In preparing his car First Aid kit, has Themanwho:

• Done the right thing - BZ!

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • Gone a little bit OTT, but the idea is sound (you saddo).

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • A bit scary, but erm okay... Why don't you join St Johns Ambulance?

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Mummy, keep the scary man away from my sore bits!

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • One step away from a prepper's stash in the woods - get a fcuking life.

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
A couple of weeks ago I was travelling down the M40, when a large cloud of dust and smoke appeared about half a mile in front of me. I pulled over, grabbed the first aid kit from the boot and ran up to the accident site involving an artic truck, a transit van and two car, all badly mangled. Thankfully there were no fatalities or life threatening injuries; I helped a couple of people out of vehicles, and started giving first aid to a girl with a minor head injury (cut above the eye, bleeding freely). I opened my first aid kit ( similar to the type below):
View attachment 513605
It had virtually nothing of any use, a small strip of fabric plaster, some wipes and nothing for anything more than a finger cut or knee graze level of injury The only useful content was a survival blanket, which I wrapped around the casualty, whilst I tried to mop the blood away and stick the plaster on the cut. Fortunately a squaddie arrived with a handful of FFDs one of which I quickly applied, just in time for plod and ambulances to turn up.

With thirty years of soldiering and ten years of civvy first aider training under my belt, I had no excuse for being so unequipped for dealing with a serious casualty event. I'd bought the shonky car first aid kit years before, mentally ticked it off my list of things to do and forgotten about it, which considering I keep a well stocked first aid kit in my workshop, another in my house and another smaller kit in my range bag is unforgivable. For the remainder of my journey I thought about this, and decided I needed to get a decent kit for the car which could deal with serious injuries when I got home. A quick google got me sucking my teeth at the price of decent first aid kits, however, that thirty years of soldiering has left me with a fair amount of relevant buckshee kit mouldering in the loft, so I thought a DIY effort might do the job. I bought a cheap canvas haversack (£8 ), some basic stuff, (plasters, sticking tape, scissors - another £10), a couple of saddo badges (£10), and put together a reasonably suitable first aid kit, without going totally OTT or breaking the bank.

Behold the magnificence:

View attachment 513609

(Mug included for scale)

Contents (in waterproof containers):

5 x First Field Dressings
3x gel burns dressings
1 x Tourniquet
3 x tri bandages
4 x bandages
1 x eye dressing
1 x roll fabric tape
Vaseline (In case I'm feeling lucky)
1 x roll micropore tape
3 x pairs surgical gloves
1 x pack sticking plasters
Surgical wipes (hods of them)
Syringe for eye wash
Lip balm
2 x bottles Hand gel
3 x Survival blankets
Marker pen
Strap cutter

(Edit: Scissors!)

I know I've gone OTT, blame the current Covid japery for leaving me with too much time on my hands. BUT:

Remembering this is a first aid kit not a paramedic's go bag, is there anything else I really should have included?

All suggestions welcome (to do with the kit).

Cheers....

500ml saline drip bag. Good for rinsing burns and wounds.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
No room, but I have wet burns dressings and eye wash ampoules.

Packs pretty flat in the bottom or side of a med bag. As long as it's not punctured with something sharp, the bags are bloody strong and won't leak.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Packs pretty flat in the bottom or side of a med bag. As long as it's not punctured with something sharp, the bags are bloody strong and won't leak.
As I say, no room sadly! The Ouch Pouch is now even fuller than in the pic:

1611044857475.png

However I do always have bottled water in the boot as well, which could be used for burns I suppose.

Not sterile for a start. Saline apparently less painful as it's meant to be close to the body's own salt levels.

View attachment 540769

However I do always have bottled water in the boot as well, which could be used for burns I suppose.

That's what I think - one or two bottles of plain water would be OK for burns or eyewash, or to drink if you get stuck somewhere. Remember to keep changing it for fresh.

What about a fluorescent suit - jacket and trousers with fluorescent tie? Maybe not so useful at the roadside but it would make me stand out at interviews!

Every so often the Police hi-vis goretex jackets pop up on eb@y for around 30 quid. Good value for money.

That's what I think - one or two bottles of plain water would be OK for burns or eyewash, or to drink if you get stuck somewhere. Remember to keep changing it for fresh.

If I am traveling any distance, or in bad weather, I carry: A little cooker, brew making kit, a big soup, water, sleeping bag, walking boots, torch and cold weather gear including my Montane smock.

I recall a couple of winters before we left the UK there were loads of people stranded on motorways in the snow. I can imagine it would get very old, very quickly, having to suck on icicles.

Edit to add: And because it is Ameriky I tuck a pistol in there too, you never know when those pesky injuns might attack.

View attachment 540769

feck me the bag was what we got given to carry PT kit and towel around in during basic training RAF 1981.
Polished to a deep black shine last seen on a certain GC's dog and brass shining like a shiney thing

Yokel

LE
There was a story on local news a few years ago about coaches being inspected by the Police and another agency - VOSA? One of the things they checked was first aid and other safety equipment.

One of the coaches was reported to have a first aid kit full of girlie magazines. Imagine that - a first aider tries to get a dressing after you burn yourself on the radiator, but all they can find is a copy of Razzle.

Yokel

LE
Could anyone come up with a list of things for an emergency bag for a car? I am thinking of some sort of rucksack with first aid equipment, firefighting stuff, hi viz, basic tools, food/drink depending on weather.

What documents should the driver carry? Driving licence, insurance details, details of any AA/RAC membership....

A.N.Other

War Hero
Could anyone come up with a list of things for an emergency bag for a car? I am thinking of some sort of rucksack with first aid equipment, firefighting stuff, hi viz, basic tools, food/drink depending on weather.

What documents should the driver carry? Driving licence, insurance details, details of any AA/RAC membership....
What's the purpose of the bag? RTC, stuck in snow overnight, makeshift repairs?

Re docs, there is no legal requirement in the UK to carry your insurance, licence, MOT or registration. Police have access to this info via their control room. I wouldn't bother, other than my licence (useful ID for collecting parcels, etc) and possibly my insurance, if it has just been renewed and the insurers' database may not have been updated yet.

Yokel

LE
What's the purpose of the bag? RTC, stuck in snow overnight, makeshift repairs?

Re docs, there is no legal requirement in the UK to carry your insurance, licence, MOT or registration. Police have access to this info via their control room. I wouldn't bother, other than my licence (useful ID for collecting parcels, etc) and possibly my insurance, if it has just been renewed and the insurers' database may not have been updated yet.

I was thinking of all the things that might happen on a day to day car journey, such as:

Breakdown
Accident
Encountering people who have had an accident
Getting stuck by snow or floods
Running out of fuel
Being stopped by the Police

Teeblerone

War Hero
I was thinking of all the things that might happen on a day to day car journey, such as:

Breakdown
Accident
Encountering people who have had an accident
Getting stuck by snow or floods
Running out of fuel
Being stopped by the Police
Stuff I never thought of, but was useful:
a good handful of disposable gloves
sturdier gloves (saves bashing your knuckles up if you go under the bonnet for anything, see next)
spark plug spanner
wet wipes
bog roll/ tissues (for the obvious, but also for a runny nose!)
antihistamine
umbrella
towel (in case you forget your umbrella :) )
mug, plate, KFS. Much pleasanter food stops.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
If it’s only a first aid kit, Have a look in a BMW or Mercedes and raid the boot, those seem to be quite good. I’ve been using them over the years at festivals. Throw in a tube of germoline and burneze. Add a mini mag lite and that’s your starter

I haven’t done the thread yet, I imagine it’s going to be fun