First aid dressings

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by ugly, Jun 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Hello folks, I am not looking for FFDs, I have a box full, I am looking for a dressing to put on an open wound that cant be stitched, will allow scabbing and eventually skin to grow back and also keep the wound clean.
    The problem I have is the dogs, its not the cost of the vets but often the vet will explore the wound and even if not, stitching usually requires a general. Most of my dogs take chunks out of one another at some point and its usually easy to clean up, dress and keep clean just sometimes you dont always see the injury till the wound had dried a little and the edges start to die back causing discomfort and meaning a minor op at the vet.
    Now if they need that Op I take them in but often they dont and with the lampshade on they wont lick the wound so it dies back, scabs and heals and eventually the hair grows enough to cover.
    I'm looking for dressing pads that will accelerate this especially when its warm like it is now!
    Any ideas?
    Remember this isnt the Naafi so no Korean remedies please!

• Like Like x 1
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thanks for that, those prices dont look too bad really, I was wondering though rather than removing dressings there wasnt something that would just sit there aiding scabbing and dissolve away over time rather than require removing which increases risk of infection and also can destroy scabbing?
    Actually the discounts make the prices look good especially when you consider a vet charges £25 notes just to look at the dog before any medication which often isnt necessary!

3. hi look on ebay at the medline pads they are very good and should do the job that you need to do

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thanks, the medline range has already been mentioned. I dont do e bay as a rule and silvasorb looks good but needs replacing after a number of days. I'm looking for a product I can drop in a leave to dissolve with the scab!

5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

bugger I found for a friend the ones vet uses online for a fraction of the price plus he saved 100 quid a week in vets bills as it was a twice weekly thing for months. the dressings were still expensive though. not sure if I still have the link.

his dog got a leg ripped open and huge chunks removed.

you could look at a colloidal silver spray to wet the dressing with using silver as the antibiotic.

I think we used intrasite dressings 10x10 at 70 odd quid a pack. vet charged 14.ea so we halved that cost.

I used something similar on my elbow last year to draw the gunge out of it after a road slide it was like a punctutre repair patch but worked a treat..

6. Grumblegrunt

i think we used viovet

7. have you ever tried flowers of sulphur and margerine. my mother used to do crufts and it iswhat was used for wounds and does heal really quick.

8. Grumblegrunt

scabbing causes scar tissue, if you want the wound to heal cleanly and with minimal deep scarring then it needs to stay sealed and moist to allow it to draw together and reabsorb itself. the newer gel dressings create a virtual scab so the body doesn't have to. the discharge is drawn into the dressing like a blister.

larger wounds are treated almost like burns now which started with the likes of opsite sheets which is glorified fablon after asurgeon treated his sons abdominal surgery with a sheet of actual fablon so he could bath properly and still keep the wound clean.

there is a gel applicator but I am not sure how it works if you want something to blob on smaller wounds.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

10. Grumblegrunt

you could get a can of regular opsite spray skin which will seal and protect it long enough for the healing to start properly. otherwise its iodine or silver a gauze pad and lots of conforming tape.

11. This stuff
    ImageUploadedByARRSE1340982529.547402.jpg
    This is ok for around legs it's as sticky as hell. It's great for cut pads, use a dry dressing, apply a padded wadding like velband. Don't do it too tightly the toes have to move. Use the Elastoplast as a top layer. Use a plastic bag over the top. Obviously clean wound and apply iodine.
    Other places on a dog are harder as they have the dressings off.
    Things like the superglue for sticking wounds together could be of use BUT as with suturing it has to be done quickly or you're sealing in infection. It also needs thoroughly cleaning or again you're sealing in infection in a lovely warm moist place for bugs to grow.
    My last dog had a very deep cut in one of his pads a young vet said he'd need his toe removing. I politely declined, had it dressed then did the dressings myself at home. Was good as new within a week.

12. Opsite spray on an open wound stings like hell.

13. Grumblegrunt

I'm experimenting personally with colloidal silver as a medication/antibiotic as I was curious. going by the blurb, you can put it on topically or internally to fight infections as it sits harmlessly in the bloodstream so you could add it to the water bowl without drama.

I'm using it to see if I can clear out my fungal bloody toenail I picked up 20 years ago and which refuses to die. but if what it did to my fishtank and kidneys is anything to go by then it definately does something positive.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Now that sounds more like it, can I get it at boots? I still have some stop bleed spray from there which is getting low!