firm in court over TA soldiers job loss

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by wheel, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought this may be of intersest to anyone getting posted.

Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

09:30 - 21 April 2006
    A North Staffordshire business accused of terminating the contract of an employee who served as a Territorial Army soldier in Iraq is being prosecuted. Randles Garage, of Keele Road, Newcastle, is the first company in the UK to be prosecuted by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) after claims it terminated the contract of Neil Wright, who was employed at the garage as an IT support worker.

Corporal Wright, aged 31, of Telford, who is a radio operator with the Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry, was attached to the Kings Royal Hussars from April to November last year.

But he later lost his job at the Newcastle garage and is now working full-time with the TA as a recruitment officer.

After finding out he had lost his job Corporal Wright complained to the police.

It is the first time since the Reserve Forces (Safeguard of Employment) Act 1985 came into force that the CPS has taken action against an employer.

Under the Act employers are "prohibited from terminating reservists employment without their approval at any time if the termination is due solely or mainly to their reserve liability".

Managing director Phillip Wade and Steven Smith, from Randles Garage, are being prosecuted under Section 17 of the Act.

The CPS says the maximum penalty for breaching Section 17 is a fine of £1,000 for each defendant and compensation to the reservist amounting to five weeks' salary.

The matter is being regarded as a test case.

Neither Wade or Smith was present at a hearing at Kidderminster Magistrates' Court in Worcestershire yesterday. The case was adjourned for a pre-trial review on May 11.
  2. Good to see,I reckon the penalty isn't severe enough
  3. agreed, and as allways i bet the lie adjusters OOPS! sorry, the LAWYERS i mean, will get more out of it than anyone else.
  4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Woder if the (mis)managers of the garage where Cpl Wright worked would have the balls to do to go & fight for their country!! Doubt it!
    Good luck Cpl Wright!!!
  5. Lets hope we find out what the outcome is,meanwhile I would rather push my knacked old wreck past that place
  6. msr

msr LE

Probably best if there are no more comments, as the case in ongoing.

And good on his unit for employing him. It's no fun returning from ops and not being able to find a job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.