Firing the SA80

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by caesar6, Feb 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all

Just a quick question. I am right handed but have trouble blinking my left eye (It is blurry). There is no problem with the right eye.

Do you think this will be a problem. Could I bring an eye patch when doing rifle practice? Or should I start using the rifle left handed from the beginning.

Many Thanks
  2. wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  3. Im biting.....

You cant fire any of the SA80 weapon systems left handed. If you do please video it and stick it on here for many laughs

But seriously: DONT DO IT!!!
  4. I had the same issue when I started shooting. Basically I had to learn to wink the left eye; I started out with an air-rifle and an eye-patch and just built up the muscle in the eye until I could hold it close enough to shoot for ages on end. You won't be the first shooter with that problem and your instructors will probably have you doing the same - as everyone's saying, there's a port on the right of every SA80 weapon out of which spent cases eject at considerable speed.
  5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I know a buffoon who actually tried this, I really wish I'd seen him do it, but the aftermath was good for a point-and-laugh.

It wasn't the stupidest thing he ever did in his career though, as it was this cunt here: BBC NEWS | England | Suffolk | Death driver jail term criticised
  6. Considerable speed? The cocking handle rattling your chops might be more of an issue.
  7. Hi. Thanks for the reply. When doing the weapons test on week 9, do I get to use the eye patch for that?

Also how long did it take you to build up the muscle so you can fire effectively?

Many Thanks
  8. One of my mates still has to use an eye patch and he has been in a good 18 years.
  9. Witnessed my dad do such act on a DCCT Range. He ended up with two top lips basically. Absolutely horrific sight. Healed well mind you ;)
    The worst thing is, the RAF Gunners running it never thought to mention you can only shoot it right handed.. Typical.
  10. RiflemanTom

RiflemanTom Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Why not join the Navy? You could wear the eyepatch all the time then, and you can use a cutlass either left or right handed, no problem!
  11. Wait....... we have a navy? :D
  12. hey

Have been reading up on the SA80, just wondering if we will be using the SUSAT sight on basic training.

13. Some time early 90s I saw an Omani firing the AUG left handed. But he cheated, he used his beard as a case deflector!
  14. I would not have thought so, until around week 13ish if you are Infantry.
    Other units in not sure about.
  15. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

This is maybe not the right place for this... but what the heck. Over a few beers with ex-Mobsters we were discussing the SA80. Can anyone tell us what the approx. momentary pressure is in the chamber when firing a round? Some Scaley reckoned it was 20 tons..... Shurely shome mishtake.....