Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by chrisg46, Jan 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

My TA bn has been warned off to supply a full inf coy to deploy to the Falklands in the early part of next year for 6 weeks (classed as an op tour).
    That is pretty much all i know about it thus far. So what kind of tasks would we be doing down there? the ones that come to mind are training, patrols and qrf. Would there be build up training? POTL?
  2. Sounds like fun....
  3. msr

msr LE

What was the announcement?

"Right lads, we've got 6 weeks in the Falklands next year, but no-one has the faintest clue why we've been dicked or what we will be doing there."

4. Are you going to Port Stanely to put the penguins back up after they have fallen down watching the wokka's ?
  5. Is it part of a exercise? 6 weeks is a short time for a deployment. Guess there could be a hole in the rotation of units and you'd be enough to plug the gap.
  6. Int indicates another Argentine Invasion and you are the chosen defenders...
  7. The FIRIC is normally provided by the Inf Bns in Cyprus, but EHRR committments to Iraq and Afghan ( combined with the Ops Coy roles in the ESBA / WESBA ) have largely kicked that into touch.

My advice is - do it if you can. We sent a couple of companies there for 4 month stints and ( professionally-speaking rather than the extra time away ) they had a ball.

AFAIK their main role is to deter the Argies through routine patrolling of the islands ( including the outlying ones such as South Georgia). This can be really cool - patrols under an NCO going out for up to a couple of weeks. You can find yourself helping out the locals, using helis / boats as part of the patrols, getting a jolly on the RN ship which is usually in the area and other stuff.

Best of all are Onion ranges. The live firing there is awesome - 360 degree arcs and usually much ammo / grens / mor bombs / NGS / CAS as you can possibly shoot. Add in .50, the possibility of a battlefield tour and some serious drinking in the many subunit bars and it should be a great 6 weeks.

IMHO as an infanteer it would be far better for quality and variety of training than the 6-week Kenya / Jordan / Canada exercises - and head and shoulders above anything you'll do as a TA ex.

Although it may be classed as an Op tour for admin reasons ( which would honestly suprise me, although I don't doubt you ) don't get too excited. There's no medal after all...

There will be a QRF but its unlikely to be used for anything other than fire picquet. As for pre-training, there shouldn't be much although the more you do the better you're prepared to take advantage of the live-firing opportunities. Obviously your CO will have to balance that against employer / family concerns and I'd be suprised if they won't be a very strong factor in his appreciation of the balance to be struck.

As for POTL - hopefully!

8. chrisg46

Thanks CC, sounds promising! I think the OP tour is to give us the legal protection of RFA, as otherwise it would have to come out of our normal leave.
    If we are there for only 6 weeks, i doubt we would do all the above, unless lucky with our timings and a trip to South Georgia is due. Is Endurance still working??
    Had best get going on my fitness (again!)
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

CC has got most of it covered. They used a 3 week rotation - one week on guards and duties plus blank training to prepare for week two, live firing. Week three was patrols plus local stand down.

This was a few years ago now so they may have changed the format slightly, but 6 weeks will give you a good look at it.

10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Nope, won't work. You can only be called out inder the RFA if there is a call-out Notice in force. There is not one in force for the FI, nor has there ever been (under RFA96 at least), nor is one likely. So, you cannot be mobilised. Therefore no Call-out Gratuity, employment protection, etc.

I would think you'd have to do this on MTDs.
  11. msr

msr LE

Is the Falkland Islands 'operational', as in 'medal earning'?

And the response from employers is going to be interesting...

12. Is it just Inf they want? Or do they need people to press buttons on a shiny computer?
  13. chrisg46

Thery will struggle to get a full company then, i doubt i, or many others, will be able to take 6 weeks off work, especially as a good portion are away at the moment on Herrick. Will see what happens, i have yet to see a structured plan for this, but it has been said that it will be a operational tour (cant see it being a medal one though, unless the argies kick off!)

You could always transfer Mongoose, i know in my location they want to double the established size!
  14. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Having thought further about this, I suppose it's possible that you could mobilise people under the Iraq call-out Order and use the Soldiers that they replace in Iraq.

Frankly, it seems to be pushing things a bit, and it would be more logical to have a separate callout order for the FI. Still, if no employers, MPs, families, etc., complain, then all well and good..............