Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIRIC

jcarver007

War Hero
Has anyone done FIRIC recently and was it 2 months or 4. Were you fully involved or bored to death? I’ve heard there are some great opportunities there but equally some who say not so good?

Last edited:

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Falkland Islands Reinforced Infantry Company, presumably

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Or even Falkland island Roulement infantry company

Take a fishing rod and a load of big treble hook spoons. You should be able to get a couple of snoek/barracouta off the rocks. Excellent done on the braai with a basting of butter, ginger, peri peri, lemon juice and apricot jam.

Take care around their teeth. They're covered in an anticoagulant and even the tiniest unnoticed scratch will bleed like a stuck pig.

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's a while since I was there with an infantry company (as one of their medics)
The biggest issue was them being Scottish. When they got bored there were issues with alcohol and aggression. Such a stereotype.
They had patrols to do, visits to outlying homes/farms, onion range for a week and time in MPA.
Onion range is an excellent opportunity for some quality training. Expect to walk there and back (personally I took a helicopter every time)

It's really going to depend on the unit you go with, the current threat and what you make of it.
I got some time in at the radio station, spent some time running a bar and occasionally did some medical work.

The FIs are a classic "make of it what you will" - I was down there for 5 weeks, and had a grand old time, but my oppos loathed every single, dreadful minute of it.

If you're looking for entertainment on tap, creature comforts and cheers easy life, it's not going to provide any of those. If you want to be front foot and organise yomps across the Islands, sort out settlement visits, put the effort into some decent training opportunities, there's a whole world of potential.

Be very careful as to which Infantry Battalion you go with - in the main they're viewed with suspicion, and as an example the PARAs found themselves living in the field for a very long time. Every time they came back to MPA they got drunk and beat someone up, so CBFFI sent them straight back out into the field again. I imagine that was pretty miserable.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I did 6 months in HQBFFI in 1992. There were 2 main things: become an alcoholic or get uber fit.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I found a happy comprimise.

Starting every day on Mount Kent with 30 minutes on an exercise bike to clear my hangover :)

I spent some time on a lovely (female) RLC driver, she was the cause (and cure) of many hangovers

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I found a happy comprimise.

Starting every day on Mount Kent with 30 minutes on an exercise bike to clear my hangover :)
I learned to dive as I needed to get out of the multiple bars.

It's a while since I was there with an infantry company (as one of their medics)
The biggest issue was them being Scottish. When they got bored there were issues with alcohol and aggression. Such a stereotype.
They had patrols to do, visits to outlying homes/farms, onion range for a week and time in MPA.
Onion range is an excellent opportunity for some quality training. Expect to walk there and back (personally I took a helicopter every time)

It's really going to depend on the unit you go with, the current threat and what you make of it.
I got some time in at the radio station, spent some time running a bar and occasionally did some medical work.

Yea this was my FIRIC experience in 2012.

We deployed for the 2 months. Vaguely recall hearing that after us it would be 4 month deployments to save flight costs.

I'm sure our CSM made us go dry 1 or 2 weeks into it as lads were necking pints of rose wine with subsequent carnage ensuing.

RAF cookhouse was decent at least :smile:

The_Duke

LE
The FIs are a classic "make of it what you will" - I was down there for 5 weeks, and had a grand old time, but my oppos loathed every single, dreadful minute of it.

If you're looking for entertainment on tap, creature comforts and cheers easy life, it's not going to provide any of those. If you want to be front foot and organise yomps across the Islands, sort out settlement visits, put the effort into some decent training opportunities, there's a whole world of potential.

Be very careful as to which Infantry Battalion you go with - in the main they're viewed with suspicion, and as an example the PARAs found themselves living in the field for a very long time. Every time they came back to MPA they got drunk and beat someone up, so CBFFI sent them straight back out into the field again. I imagine that was pretty miserable.
I did nearly 5 months there as a Pl Comd in a composite PARA Coy in 2002. Whilst there was the usual smattering of G1 dramas it was no more or less than during time in barracks anywhere else. (OK, aside from the bollocking I got when my Pl was about to be charged with rioting. Mitigating circumstances, and flight ops were back on quite quickly ).

As said previously, it is yours to throw away. Good facilities, some great military history and a different type of place to explore. If you want to just get pissed, scrap and deal with the extras you can do that too.

Last edited:

Latest Threads