Firework Night

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RiflemanTom, Oct 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RiflemanTom

RiflemanTom Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Were you going to take the kids to a local bonfire and firework display this year?

Well it'll be interesting to see if the local council's health and safety team will let it go ahead now that the calender boys have decided to take the night off.

London firefighters to strike on Bonfire Night - Telegraph

They say that their argument isn't about pay. They say they're arguing for our safety, as their bosses want to close some quieter stations at night, which they say will put Londoners lives at risk.

However. They've now declared that they'll be striking on what I would guess is the busiest night of the year for fires, and fire related casualties. I,e, definately the one night of the year that we without question need as many of them as possible to be on duty. This in my mind proves that they're lying about their motive and that it is in fact all just about their pay and hours.

So. Shouldn't parliament make it illegal for them to strike, seeing as they are using our safety as a bargaining chip?
  2. No, they should be sued. The Firefighters have a "duty of care", to knowingly withdraw their labour on bonfire night is a clear breach of that duty.
  3. RiflemanTom

4. RiflemanTom

I agree mate. Sue them and sack them.
  5. Ah perhaps the Labour Shadow Minister for the Fire Services could step in and help sort things out.

Oh wait that would be Mr Harriet Harperson himself, aka former Unite supremo Jack Dromey. As you were...
  6. They should ban sale of fireworks to the public.

Only professionally qualified pyro technicians should put on shows. It's a lot safer for everyone.
  7. I am generally very simpathetic to the Firefighters, having seen them in action saving our house, business and life savings, from burning down. However, this 5th November strike looks very bad and will cost them at lot of public support. Very badly thought out IMHO.
  8. I don't agree but I am sure it's only a question of time before the H&S Nazis get their way.
  9. Call me cynical, but looking at your avatar you wouldn't be in the process of setting up a school for firework technicians anytime soon, would you?
  10. No one is indispensable …. as demonstrated by Ronald Reagan who sacked ~11,400 striking Air Traffic Controllers in 1980 after their strike was deemed a “ peril to national safety …. further they were banned from Federal Service for life … America did not grind to a halt . I doubt if something quite as draconian could happen in the UK but the selection of Bonfire Night as a night of action may come back to haunt striking personnel .
  11. Or maybe his avatar is because he's an ammo tech?
  12. No, I'm going through rehab, setting up a business is far from my mind.

Fireworks, as we know, contain explosive, however unlike military explosives their design and manufacture are without certain controls. They are then sold in the UK to Mr or Mrs numpty who then store them in the garden shed next to the petrol lawn mower, the same shed that Mr numpty goes to smoke his pipe!

It all adds up to a recipe for disaster, not nice if you live next to Mr numpty.

I've also seen the damage done to vehicles and buildings when daddy's little bastard posts a firework into them.
  13. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Black Cat Fireworks are, I believe the UK's remaining manufacturer of fireworks, (I could be wrong). I spent a very happy last year of school year using their products and other assorted explosives as part of my final Chemistry project devising tests for identifying the chemical makeup of explosives. Great fun, disturbed the entire school and had wee scare with hydrogen chloride gas. I believe I was the only one allowed to do so in a school environment - depsite it being illegal without the prerequisite licensing and training.
  14. I agree totally. People don't really understand how lethal they are
    Have a nosy at the link it will give you some idea of dodgey these things really are
    Make sure you watch it right till the end though:wink:
    YouTube - Enschede fireworks disaster

Kind regards,