Fireman Sam going on strike!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Aug 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My title was going to be 'Dust off the Green Goddesses' until I read this;

"The army, which used to step in to cover during strikes using the Green Goddesses, is no longer obliged to do so as this is now the legal responsibility of individual fire authorities, the Department of Communities and Local Government confirmed. "

So how will that work?
    Firefighters to strike for first time in more than a decade - Telegraph

2. If you get burned to death your estate can sue the Brigade.

3. Right Thats good to know.

• Like Like x 2
  4. My mother's bloke is ex-RN, and got sent on fire-strike duty once. He reckoned that, as a ratio of manpower to destruction, they did more to bring about the burning-down of houses in Plymouth than the Luftwaffe.

• Like Like x 8
  5. The same pension changes as the rest of the public sector. Wish our union would take action.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 6
  6. In a bizarre turn of coincidence my Grandfather was a fireman in Plymouth during the war.
    They used to sleep all day in tents on the moors above the city. The watch the Luftwaffe bomb the crap out of it. When Fritz had buggered off they went in. There were tales of picking body parts up and putting them into sandbags, babies and all. He was never the same again after apparently.

7. Anyone would think you had signed legally binding contracts or something?

Whatever next!

8. There's always the option of getting another job, but then where would they be able to work 4 on, 4 off with the chance of a second job during the off time?

• Like Like x 9
  9. Yeah or had our pensions guaranteed by the govt....

• Like Like x 2
  10. They did, then their employers said 'We make the laws so you remember that pension deal we signed up to? Well guess what, the hell with you and the promises we made.'

Not a public employee myself so no dog in the race, but it seems odd that there's always money for pointless wars, bank bailouts etc, but not to fulfil obligations the govt willingly incurred.

• Like Like x 17
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

He did. Which included his TACOS, which have been changed.

Not the contract that he signed so he's entitled to be grumpy. It's called the civil law. S'good innit?

12. Why do TACOS never get better, only worse? New starters always get the worst deal, why doesn't the govt want to reward staff they employ well?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Yeh, I am familiar with the issue.

I was taking the piss out of the powers that be believing it acceptable to change a contract twenty years down the line.

• Like Like x 1
  14. This could be sorted easily with the money that is just about to go "Boom" over Syria.

Hey ho.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

15. I the real world changes to T&C's have been common for decades. It's only the Public Sector that has been unable change with the times.

• Like Like x 2