Fireman Sam going on strike!

If you get burned to death your estate can sue the Brigade.

My mother's bloke is ex-RN, and got sent on fire-strike duty once. He reckoned that, as a ratio of manpower to destruction, they did more to bring about the burning-down of houses in Plymouth than the Luftwaffe.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
The same pension changes as the rest of the public sector. Wish our union would take action.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

My mother's bloke is ex-RN, and got sent on fire-strike duty once. He reckoned that, as a ratio of manpower to destruction, they did more to bring about the burning-down of houses in Plymouth than the Luftwaffe.
In a bizarre turn of coincidence my Grandfather was a fireman in Plymouth during the war.
They used to sleep all day in tents on the moors above the city. The watch the Luftwaffe bomb the crap out of it. When Fritz had buggered off they went in. There were tales of picking body parts up and putting them into sandbags, babies and all. He was never the same again after apparently.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
There's always the option of getting another job, but then where would they be able to work 4 on, 4 off with the chance of a second job during the off time?

Anyone would think you had signed legally binding contracts or something?

Whatever next!
They did, then their employers said 'We make the laws so you remember that pension deal we signed up to? Well guess what, the hell with you and the promises we made.'

Not a public employee myself so no dog in the race, but it seems odd that there's always money for pointless wars, bank bailouts etc, but not to fulfil obligations the govt willingly incurred.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Anyone would think you had signed legally binding contracts or something?

Whatever next!
He did. Which included his TACOS, which have been changed.

Not the contract that he signed so he's entitled to be grumpy. It's called the civil law. S'good innit?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

Not the contract that he signed so he's entitled to be grumpy. It's called the civil law. S'good innit?
Why do TACOS never get better, only worse? New starters always get the worst deal, why doesn't the govt want to reward staff they employ well?

Yeh, I am familiar with the issue.

I was taking the piss out of the powers that be believing it acceptable to change a contract twenty years down the line.

This could be sorted easily with the money that is just about to go "Boom" over Syria.

Hey ho.

I was taking the piss out of the powers that be believing it acceptable to change a contract twenty years down the line.
I the real world changes to T&C's have been common for decades. It's only the Public Sector that has been unable change with the times.

They'll probably force plod to do it. After all they pull almost as many people out of burning buildings as trumpton.

I can understand that but in this particular case they are altering the normal pension age to sixty and upping the fitness standards to make them un passable for many at that age.
If you're not fit enough you're sacked.

No pension.

I think the NPA of sixty is just laughable. As for the other it's bordering on criminal. A more realistic NPA would be fifty five.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

24 years in my case but probably 25 years by the time they force the changes. It's a bit shit.