Firefox using practically all system resources.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by EX_STAB, Jan 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My machine has practically ground to a halt when I'm using my browser.

Checking with Task Manager reveals that with just the firefox running (plus whatever background programs) Firefox alone is using 187,000k of Memory. CPU usage for Firefox is between 30 - 70% generally at teh upper end.

This is without actually doing anything to interact with open pages. All pages are static.

With one or two other things this puts CPU usage peaking and maintaining 100% without any tasks being carried out.

AV is McAfee (paid for)
    OS is XP with all updates
    Firefox is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv: Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7

Any ideas? It's practically crippling the machine.
  2. I had a similar recurring problem with firefox a few months ago, every now and then the pc would grind to a halt with firefox grabbing all resources, never figured out why. I finally got fed up deleted firefox and tried google chrome, problem hasn`t happened since.
  3. I moved to Google Chrome too. Also got rid of Mcafee and got soemthing else (think it was a microsoft thing) that MSR recommended on this forum. Loads of people suggested loads of various techinical options that were far too techinical for me however!
  4. I went over to Firefox years ago after everyone was raving about it, now its takes ages to load from scratch, sometimes doesn't if you use the desktop icon. If i shut down it down by mistake it says it is still running but won't open unless I re-boot. Pain in the ...........
  5. All of the above problems ring true. Has Firefox gone bad? I'd always rated it.
  6. Yeah, sounds familiar to me too and that's why I went to Chrome.
  7. msr

msr LE

8. I run Firefox on Ubuntu (personal laptop), and have never had problems.
    I run Firefox on XP on my work laptop, and have also never had issues.
    Before I installed Ubuntu on my personal machine, I was running Vista ... nightmare ... it would take Firefox approximately 3 -4 minutes to load a page. There was an excessive paging issue (Vista's "problem of problems")

One problem I have had with Firefox in the past, is when it runs updates in the background for, what feels like an eternity ... and it crippled my machine as well. This is especially true when windows was running it's updates at the same time.

Do you manually manage your updates?
  9. My Firefox is crap. It takes years to load anything and even trying to quit the application gives me the spinning wheel (in Mac OSX)

The mac is a 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM Intel machine, I don't think it's running out of juice! (Nothing else is open and it still happens)

Like everybody else, I've switched to Chrome - though Chrome doesn't seem to support some online content so I have to use Safari every now and then.
  10. I've heard Safari is the way forward ... :) and apparently Chrome is still having some security issues.
  11. I have firefox 3.6 beta 2 running on 3.15Ghz windows XP bitdefender anti virus no problems to report. Just installed Thunderbird e mail client, much better than outlook express.
  12. As MSR alluded to, disable all your add ons, if this cures it then have a think about what add ons you really require.
  13. Another Chrome fan here.
    It is by far the fastest browser I have used.
    The only problem is the bookmarks bar, which I haven't managed to work out how to keep open. Minor niggle though.
  14. been having so many probs with firefox lately,i have just gone to google chrome,so far so good !
  15. msr

msr LE

You should upgrade to 3.6 rc1