Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firefox Update annoying

Using my Android Tablet Samsung Galaxy A6 with Firefox. After a recent update from Firefox the web pages load up with an annoying menu bar at the bottom which I cant get rid of. Plus the ability to press the back button in the top left corner has disappeared and so has the refresh button.

So if I come back to the Arrse Page and if I'm asked to press the back button and refresh the page before continuing I am unable to do it. Not a happy teddy at all.

Anyone got a fix for this?

TIA

Last edited:
In Windows, you'd right click on an empty space on the Firefox toolbar an uncheck 'menu bar'. I don't know if it works the same in an Android environment.

The missing buttons would be restored by right-clicking on an empty space, clicking on 'customize' and dragging/dropping the missing buttons back where you want them. Again, that's in Windows.

I like Firefox, but when I tried it on my Android phone it was crap.

I also use Waterfox, which is built using the Firefox kernel but lets you use useful old Firefox add-ons that no longer load into Firefox.

In Windows, you'd right click on an empty space on the Firefox toolbar an uncheck 'menu bar'. I don't know if it works the same in an Android environment.

The missing buttons would be restored by right-clicking on an empty space, clicking on 'customize' and dragging/dropping the missing buttons back where you want them. Again, that's in Windows.
I've not switched my laptop on for ages so no idea whether the Firefox update has occurred or not. But I use Windows on the laptop so thanks for the info.

Wait Out

Firefox began limiting the sites in the drop down window in their latest iterations, so I've gone back to an older one that works better for me. It keeps whining to download the new one in a window top right, but I've learned to ignore the schimpfing and close it each time it pops up.

It's getting too much like Microshit for my liking. They try to improve a perfectly suitable system and completely fuck it up.

Niamac

GCM
Avoid Google Play and download the desk top version direct from Mozilla.

It's getting too much like Microshit for my liking. They try to improve a perfectly suitable system and completely fuck it up.

They all do it. Always have. Opera went the same way a few years back. It was an excellent little browser, then they decided to redesign it from the ground up using a Chrome engine. Ruined it. If I wanted something like Chrome, then I'd go with Chrome.

Firefox began limiting the sites in the drop down window in their latest iterations, so I've gone back to an older one that works better for me. It keeps whining to download the new one in a window top right, but I've learned to ignore the schimpfing and close it each time it pops up.

Roger that...8)

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Agree, the latest Firefox for Android is a pain, i've gone back to the previous version.
As I have a de-Googled Android phone, I use apkpure.com for applications and updates, if you install the client it notifies you of updates - which you can choose to put on the ignore list if, as with Firefox, the latest version is pants. It also lists and has available at least six months worth of previous versions.

Managed to move the menu/address bar to the top but it is still just as annoying. And there is still no sign of the back button/arrow or the refresh button FFS.

A Bank Holiday, so got all day to sort it out, just like every other day. YAAAY
Screenshot_20200831-103323_Firefox.jpg

Did you get into 'customize' as I suggested, or does it not work that way on Android?
Nope, Android not playing at all. Plus all the help forums refer to Windows instructions.

Nope, Android not playing at all. Plus all the help forums refer to Windows instructions.

That's a pity. Firefox seems to work in much the same way on Linux as it does on Windows. Somebody out there will know about the Android version.... unless Firefox is more 'fixed layout' on Android.

Using my Android Tablet Samsung Galaxy A6 with Firefox. After a recent updatefrom Firefox the web pages load up with an annoying menu bar at the bottom which I cant get rid of. Plus the ability to press the back button in the top left corner has disappeared and so has the refresh button.

So if I come back to the Arrse Page and if I'm asked to press the back button and refresh the page before continuing I am unable to do it. Not a happy teddy at all.

Anyone got a fix for this?

TIA

Yeah, I dislike the new format too. I've given up and switched to another browser for my phone.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah, I dislike the new format too. I've given up and switched to another browser for my phone.
Which one please?
I like Firefox because I can sync tabs across devices and it supports ublock origin, but if there's a better (non-chrome) browser for mobile, i'm happy to lose those benefits.

Which one please?
I like Firefox because I can sync tabs across devices and it supports ublock origin, but if there's a better (non-chrome) browser for mobile, i'm happy to lose those benefits.

None aof them are as nice as pre-update Firefox but I'm currently trying out Edge

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
It's all very strange.

Firefox may be open-source, but it seems that Mozilla still shares the corporate desire of US IT companies to bugger around with things simply 'because they can' and inevitably stuff them up. Useful well-loved features are often removed and new features that no one ever asked for are introduced. Any meaningful end-user consultation seems to be anathema to them and their corporate ethos is very much one of mummy-knows-best.

Latest Threads