Firefox crashing

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by putteesinmyhands, Jul 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. About half a dozen times over the last 24 hours, Firefox has crashed when I've returned to the ARRSE page from whatever other tab I've been on. I get the FF apology/embarrassed page which suggests that the crash may have been due to the page that was being opened (i.e. ARRSE).

It doesn't happen every time - I usually have 20-40 tabs at the top of the screen and browse between them - but the problem only happens when I return to ARRSE (and can happen when I've only got half a dozen or so tabs).

I don't know if it's relevant but I've also been plagued by the Flash plug-in crashing for a few weeks. I can't say what's causing that one as it usually happens when I'm away from the computer. That one doesn't appear to be confined to ARRSE (although with ARRSE as one of my home pages and permanently tabbed, perhaps there is a link). I've assumed that it's to do with an overload of Flash content on different pages.
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

3. HHH

HHH LE

Have you checked that Firefox and flash plugins are up to-date?

Firefox version - 22.0

Flash plugin - 11.8.800.94
  4. I was having the same issue but have solved it by switching to google chrome which I am very impressed with
  5. What antivirus are you using? I never had FF crash per se but my corporate antivirus kept crashing the flash within FF.....
  6. They're what I've got.

MSE, also up to date and run with no nasties.

Oh, and also ran Malwarebytes, also with no nasties.
  7. Hmmm.....sorry have no idea then. My work laptop has Eset Nod which has a very well known and documented problem with screwing up FF.......I still use it though...:)

Good luck with getting it resolved buddy.
  8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

are you remembering to think in Russian??

• Like Like x 3
  9. OK. I've disabled the graphics acceleration, one of the suggestions.

This is the crash report:

crash report 190713.jpg

The top one coincides with me forcing a shut-down to install a printer driver, so I'll ignore that one. Of the other most recent ones all but the second on the list seem to be associated with shockwave flash (oh, oh). Now, some of the time I've been running mind-numbing games on the shockwave site though I'm not totally convinced it's that site that's causing it, nor does it explain why the crashes have been happening on attempted re-entry to ARRSE.

The second on the list has this header:
    [h=2]Firefox 22.0 Crash Report [@ EMPTY: no crashing thread identified; corrupt dump ][/h]
    The next 5 have this:

[h=2]Firefox 22.0 Crash Report [@ hang | WaitForMultipleObjectsEx | RealMsgWaitForMultipleObjectsEx | MsgWaitForMultipleObjects | F_1152915508___________________________________ ][/h]
    with Process type "plugin Shockwave Flash Version:11.7.700.224 Filename:NPSWF32_11_7_700_224.dll"

Full reports (2nd report onwards):

Now that I'm aware of the crash reports, I'll check what tabs I've got open at the time if it happens again. Thanks for that lead.
  10. No, but I've started addressing the laptop as "Hal. Sir".
  11. HHH. Many thanks!
    • Like Like x 1