Firefox 3.5 out... private browsing now in-built

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Schleswig-Holstein, Jun 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just downloaded the new Firefox build (3.5) and it is ripping along....
    Still not as fast as Chrome, but Chrome doesn't have the add-ons.

I'm sure that a good chunk of the ARRSE community will appreciate the private browsing mode for those one-handed surfing moments.

Download here
  2. Well worth the update from 3.0.11 to 3.5 been using it most of the afternoon and the speed difference is very obvious after using it just for a few minutes. Word of warning though Real Player download plugin won't work with this version at the current time along with a few other add ons, so its worth checking what works and doesn't before installing.
  3. Thanks for the heads up on the update, I have just upgraded to 3.5 and noticed the difference right away .. much quicker. When I installed the update it notified of me what add ons wouldnt work and available updates for them, all good so far.
  4. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

How does "private browsing" work? Not something I've heard of before, but if it assists me with grot I'm all for it.
  5. Link.

Not something I'd use much as I'm the sole user of my machine (Well, I hope I am 8O ).
  6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I'm not sure what version I have, but I assume 'private browsing' is the same as I have.

basically it auto deletes your history, cookies, temp files when you shut the browser down.....covers your tracks in one simple click.

p.s. obviously I don't need to use such a feature as I have a perfectly legit browsing history.
  7. S_R, go to Help --> About Mozilla Firefox to find the version number.

I think the difference in this version and what you are talking about is that in the new version it doesn't store it in the first place.
  8. I was going to ask the same question.

What does private mode actually entail?
  9. You can get software that does the same sort of stuf....
  10. c_f, I know you can, but I think the benefit for most users is that it's already rolled into one piece of software, not something else they need to go searching for and installing separately.
  11. I'm still on 3.0.11 as I downloaded the Beta version of the Upgrade a few months ago and had major problems with the computer, I had to uninstall and get back to this version and lost quite a lot of programmes in the process, be good to know if no such problems exist in the new and improved Upgrade?
  12. I've been playing with this now for the last 24hrs. No problems as of yet and it seems stable comapired with the bug ridden beta's (I had a similier experience to Gudulph) There are still a lot of add ons which have yet to be updated but give it a few weeks and most stuff should be updated.
    No script and other browser security options i use are all working fine.
  13. Thanks Baldrick, I will give it a go... Have the Fire Extinguisher ready just in case it all goes wrong 8O
  14. So what are the advantages of Firefox over IE
  15. Apart from being more stable and more secure you could have a nose at this as well

13 Reasons To use Firefox

A google search will give you loads more reasons to make the switch