Firefighters measure of success

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by .338lapua_magnum, Mar 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If proof were needed that health and safety risk assessments were more important than human life!
  2. You appear to have reached a judgement on behalf of the Sheriff before the hearing has even finished :?

Amazing mate, any chance of letting us know what lotto numbers will be drawn tomorrow :D
  3. Thta story has crossed the pond. My work involves working with firefighters and in the last day I was talking with two FD Lt's and a Deputy Chief. The concensus was "WTF was that man thinking of" Firefighters do have to think of their own safety and should not risk their lives to recover bodies and should not risk lives if there is no hope of saving someone but in this case the woman was alive and well. The FF's I know thought this was a disgrace to their profession. They doubt if this would be normal practice in any fire department.
  4. "Firefighters with considerably more experience than you said it could be done."
    Mr Stewart replied: "That's their opinion."

Sounds like some kiss ass desk jockey promoted up the ranks dishing out orders to experienced, keen and humane guys. I was of the opinion that saving lives came first, thats why they are there 24/7 isn't it?
    Maybe not though.
    Now the Firemen turn up, make an risk assessment then call out unpaid Mountain Rescue guys to hand over the casualty to Paramedics.
    Do they have to make up method statements and risk assessments for fires before they put them out? That would kind of slow the whole process down abit I would imagine.
  5. Woman died AFTER having to wait for a mountain rescue team DESPITE there being Fire and Rescue service on site with personnel who had the kit, knowledge and experience to get her out.

It doesn't take the brains' of a Sheriff to work out that Paul Stewart of Strathclyde Fire and Rescue is a jobs worth cnut in need of a bloody good shoeing! There wasn't a risk assesment needed for this!

Give your head a wobble, cnuts like Stewart COST lives, they don't SAVE them!
  6. FFS Whats the point in having highly trained Fire/rescue people and then put a useless jobsworth cnut with little or no experiance in control
  7. Alas the job has gone to rat s***, and will no doubt get worse.
    any of you that did fresco will have come across DORA,which whilst a good tool is not the be all and end all,and common sense seems to have gone out the window in the new PC fire service,years back we worked on the maxium"we will take risks with fftrs lifes attempting to save saveable lives"
    One last point a shed load of cash has been spend on USAR teams (rescue from building collapse/bomb damage etc)why they with their training and equipment were not in attendance is a question i would like to see answered.
    I dare say that if the lads had affected a rescue,they would no doubt have been sacked,iirc this was the FRS that made such a fuss about the gay pride march the lads objected to having to attend. :cry:
  8. Surely the guy who put himself at risk by going down the mine would not have done so unless he had the kit, experience and belief that he could get back out? He and those present did what the public would expect of our Fire service, until Mr Stewart turned up.
  9. As an ex-fireman I have been very upset by this story. Too many non-practical types getting promotion on the back of knowledge of H&S and equality issues rather than firemen with common sense getting promotion.

The entrance exams require higher levels of so-called education than 20-30 years ago when most of the guys joining were ex-squaddies, mechanics and building workers.

Tthe modern leaders are often a bit clueless but know how to "play the game" of career advancement. They promote the same sort of sheep rather than independent thinkers who may be a threat to them.

The Watch I joined in the early 80`s would have carried out the rescue in about 30 minutes, ignored the officer completely, then gone back to the station for a nice brew and a curry. If the officer had kicked up a fuss the big Sub O from 2 Para would have had a quiet word.

I note that 3 officers in Worcester have been charged with manslaughter following the deaths of 4 firemen and a fireman somewhere else is in court for sounding two tones behind a herd of cows and causing a death.

Shame for the good guys in Strathclyde who are very upset be the court case. Shows there are still many good blokes in the job.

I expect this sort of thing to become very common.
  10. up till the end of national service you would not have got in without being ex forces.
    saying that the ratio of mongs to old sweats is turning in favour of the mongs,and all most FS managers are interested in is cutting the service to the bone and chasing PC targets
  11. You've obviously made up your mind as well, I'd rather the inquiry decide if it's OK with you :?
  12. I have been in sticky situations often enough to know that snap decision made on a combination of what you find, what you have available and experience will often do well in most situations including when my life is in danger. Too often now, decisions are governed by H&S paperwork (not the legislation I may add) generated by buffoons who live in a cloistered world where risk management becomes risk aversion. Some are also bl**dy gutless cowards from personal experience!
  13. There was a case a few months ago of a car going into a water filled ditch. The fire service and medics turned up, the fire service called for a dinghy. While they were sat around the medic waded in to the knee deep water and rescued the casualty
  14. Actually, it's not.