Firefighters Killed 06.04.10

Two firefighters died after a tower block blaze went "completely out of control" in Southampton, witnesses have said.

Dozens of residents had to be evacuated from Shirley Towers in Church Street after the fire broke out on the ninth floor at around 8pm on Tuesday. Investigations are now under way into how the fire was apparently then able to rip through the tower block.

Mother-of-two Kristina Baldacchino, who watched the incident unfold, said emergency services were struggling to get the blaze under control. The 41-year-old, who runs the nearby Kings Arms pub, said: "I really can't understand what went wrong. We saw the fire engines arrive at what appeared to be a small fire in a flat. From the outside it really didn't seem that severe.

"Yet within an hour it was ripping through the entire block. It was a complete inferno and seemed to have gone completely out of control - even though Church Street was absolutely chock-a-block with fire engines, emergency services and even a crane.
Independant

Condolences to families and rest in peace.

My father-in-law who was a fireman lost two of his crew in a fire in block of flats (he was lucky to get out alive himself) here in Stevenage 5 years ago! Not a very good time for those involved and my heart felt condolences go out to the families of these fireman lost today. RIP.

RIP

2 Min's from me Shirley towers,should pull the thing down not the first time there has been a fire ,a school Buddie of mine died by falling down the lift shaft rip the firefighters

RIP.

I believe there were a couple of deaths last year as well. One firefighter died in England, another in Edinburgh.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Two of those who do put the safety of others before themselves.
R.I.P.

RIP, brothers.

Brother when you weep for me
Remember that it was meant to be
Lay me down and when you leave
Remember I'll be at your sleeve
In every dark and choking hall
I'll be there as you slowly crawl
On every roof in driving snow
I'll hold your coat and you will know
In cellars hot with searing heat
At windows where a gate you meet
In closets where young children hide
You know I'll be there at your side
The house from which I now respond
Is overstaffed with heroes gone
Men who answered one last bell
Did the job and did it well
As firemen we understand
That death's a card dealt in our hand
A card we hope we never play
But one we hold there anyway
That card is something we ignore
As we crawl across a weakened floor
For we know that we're the only prayer
For anyone that might be there
So remember as you wipe your tears
The joy I knew throughout the years
As I did the job I loved to do
I pray that thought will see you through

Author Unknown

treborre said:
My father-in-law who was a fireman lost two of his crew in a fire in block of flats (he was lucky to get out alive himself) here in Stevenage 5 years ago! Not a very good time for those involved and my heart felt condolences go out to the families of these fireman lost today. RIP.

Are your father in Laws initials... J.D ? And your Husbands R.W?

I went on that watch a cople of days after...The whole thing was horrible. and we all had to had help with the 2 fuerals from Harrow Court,Rest In Peace !

RIP

RIP, a sad day.
Thoughts are with the Family and friends
My nipper is a trainee fire fighter and I worry, but am proud as hell!