Firearms on base

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by beetroot4000, Aug 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Are you allowed to keep fire arms for hunting/target shooting on an Army base?
    Obviously not in your room but in the armory or some place similar?
    Or are they a big no no and have to leave them at a friend/family place?

Cheers

2. I reckon so judging by how many shotguns I checked during Orderly Officers rounds. Two things, you will need CO's permission and it would help being an officer and member of the gun club. Second, someone will be along in a moment to say I am talking rubbish. ;)

3. Yep. That's bollocks about being an officer.

4. I'm a bit out of date, but:

1. You need permission from the Unit to keep weapons in an armoury;

2. Your licensing authority/Police - and that of the Unit, if a different police region - will have to be notified and approve of the arrangement (it will probably have to be recorded on the FAC,or a separate FAC issued);

3. The unit will have to arrange access to the local Police for the purposes of normal inspection checks as you'd get with FAC weapons kept at home. Police are empowered to access any civilian-held firearm, whether or not it is on a military base.

5. I used to keep my shotgun in the armoury. No problems as long as you have the correct paperwork, licences etc and comply with unit SOPs.

Rodney2q

6. Some police forces can be a bit strange. Six years ago now, but Strathclyde Police would not accept my rifles being in the unit armoury as anyone with access to the armoury would have access to my rifles and they didn't have FACs. At the time I was not prepared to argue and took them to the local gunshop for storage whilst renovations were going on at home.

7. I would also keep my firearms in hard cases whilst being stored in a unit armoury, preferably locked if the unit can be persuaded to agree. Provided the weapon serial numbers are checked when they are booked in, then there is no need for anyone else to play with them. Guns in sleeves will get piled up any old how and have stuff dropped on them..

I got fed with my revolvers getting paw marks all over them and having the triggers snapped by idiot orderly officers and armoury storemen. A good trick is to put trigger locks on things so that it is obvious when someone cocks them..

Strathclyde are certified ********* about stuff like this. Keeping private arms in armouries is an accepted practice and there is nothing in law to prevent this happening. Decisions like this need to be challenged.. Let Colin Sheddon at BASC Scotland know if it happens again..

• Like Like x 1
  8. There is a DIN with reference this I , the same question was raised at work a couple of weeks ago alas I was on the phone and only caught half the conversation I am away from DII at the moment.

9. Good example of the utter muppetry of some Police forces: someone might tiptoe past the racks of SA8os/ GPMGs/ Pistols/ etc in order to have an illicit fondle of an old shotgun.

I can't quote chapter and verse from the firearms acts, but I'm fairly sure that any serviceman entering the armoury would be exempt from FAC requirements as they'd be deemed to be on duty at the time. Hence anyone who picked up a private weapon in an armoury would be in legal possession the same as if they happened to pick up Abdul's AK whilst out on patrol.

10. There is the story of one of Strathclyde's finest checking on a privately owned weapon in an armoury in Paisley/Coatbridge and demanding to see the FACs for all the other SLRs/SMGs/GPMGS/BROWNING 9MM/ 84MM MAWs held there

11. I'm sure their is a local gun club about to you?

12. Hardly any gun clubs have weapon storage facilities. Most clubs don't even have a private range or a private club-house at a range. Even those that do have a building of some sort usually could not provide the sort of 24hr security that you'd get at an occupied private residence. This is why the establishment/media mantra of "why can't nasty guns be kept at a club" demonstrates the utter ignorance of those who make the rules.....

13. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Used to keep everything in Unit Armouries without any difficulty - all in assorted locked boxes. The only place I had trouble was at Waddington, where they wanted everything chained to a rack [hahahahaha]. That involved about 10 assorted pistols worth upwards of £4k. Eventually they used a lockable metal chest with internal racks and a slot in the top [covered in perspex] - that way they could do their arms checks by simply counting the items, whilst keeping their grubby fingers off my gear.

14. Strathclyde again, eh? Aren't they the ones who stopped the Queen for not having a number plate on her Range Rover? Or am I thinking about the force that allowed the Dunblane mass-murderer to buy 2500 rounds of ammunition about a week or so before he slaughtered all those kids, having previously allowed him to keep all his guns despite a heart-wrenching request from one police officer that they be taken off him?

Might be a different Strathclyde.............

tac, still fuming after all these years.

15. In all fairness, I think you will find that Dunblane is in Central Scotland Constabulary's parish. This constabulary, it must be admitted, is now rather more receptive to feedback from shooters than in the past..!

That said, Pitt Street is still the Pits in terms of sensible Police management of firearms licencing...

For example, all the Scottish Constabularies are now incorporating the Recipient Competant Authority document in the COER explosives licence. A sensible and cost effective solution to what is a bit of a pointless paper chase! Well done!

Except of course Strathclyde, who insist on sticking to the paperchase...