Firearms license in germany

Ive been posted to germany and i want to start shooting ive shot clays and rabbit before but just borrowed the gun from a friend so never bothered with a license. Question is can i get one over there as there laws are different id like to get into hunting boar/deer and also pistols which from what i read are legal but not sure if it will be for me. Just after a bit advice from people that have been there done that type of thing.

Ive been posted to germany and i want to start shooting ive shot clays and rabbit before but just borrowed the gun from a friend so never bothered with a license. Question is can i get one over there as there laws are different id like to get into hunting boar/deer and also pistols which from what i read are legal but not sure if it will be for me. Just after a bit advice from people that have been there done that type of thing.
if you've never bothered over here, why bother over there?

You could always say you thought they were legal/couldn't read the signs because they were all in Deutsch etc.

To be honest my dad wasnt big on keeping any firearms in the house so thats why i didnt get a license. I want to own my own firearms so thats why i want to do it properly plus to hunt you need a license i think ha

B

Biscuits_AB

You sound like the sort of chap who's in the market for a used Schmeisser?

Do you want to shoot game, or punch holes in paper? If the former, then you will have to do a fairly long course to get your Jagdtschein. The latter is easier, as you just need to join a Schutzenverein.

Do you want to shoot game, or punch holes in paper? If the former, then you will have to do a fairly long course to get your Jagdtschein. The latter is easier, as you just need to join a Schutzenverein.
well i wanted to shoot game in the long run, but i want to shoot clays as well. I also wouldnt mind becoming a member of a shooting club just to keep sharp pistols rifles that sort of thing. Am i right i saying there a three types of license grades over there?

"well i wanted to shoot game in the long run, but i want to shoot clays as well. I also wouldnt mind becoming a member of a shooting club just to keep sharp pistols rifles that sort of thing. Am i right i saying there a three types of license grades over there?"

Sounds to me that the psych evaluation might be difficult with the "I just want guns attitude". Of course they are freely available where they are needed, maybe that's an option.

Many moons ago, there was a BAOR shooting association.. but I'm not sure it exists anymore - it used to run the courses for getting a Jadgschein..

I only ever had a waffenbezitzcard for my shotguns as I was only clay shooting..

The answer is to wait until you get out there.. There used to be good clay clubs at Gutersloh, Sennelager and Reindahlen, but they may have gone now..

I may have not understood what my husband told me, be here we go:

He says it far easier and cheaper to obtain a driving licence for a 50tonne petroleum tanker (mobile bomb) than a firearms licence. Whilst the Germans may bear weapons there are a myriad of restrictions with firearms that are legal here (France) being contrary to the German War Weapons Control Act. Then there is the requirement that the applicant must provide a valid reason for wanting to buy, own and shoot a particular gun – that is just for balltrap and target shooting. He seems to think membership of a shooting club is mandatory.

A firearms licence for hunting is a totally different game – the applicant needs to complete a hunters course and passed the exam (2000 EUR). You have to learn “butchery,” “veterinary,” “ranger,” “groundsman,” “lawyer,” “gunsmith” and “ballistic” skills as well as firearms use, laws and handling etc. Do not expect to pass the exam at the first attempt – the failure rate is around 70%.

Finally, do not expect to receive a Concealed Carry (CC) permit. You will only get one of those if you are considered to be in serious danger of bodily harm or kidnapping. Again, you have to establish that you in terrible danger. Being shot more than once is considered adequate proof that you qualify. Being murdered is the best proof to get a CC. Unfortunately, a posthumous CC isn’t much use. The state does not allow citizens to be buried with a loaded weapon.

My husband respectfully suggests that you contact the German Embassy in your home country requesting they send you, free of charge, their booklet on weapons ownership and firearms licensing.

If you would like some further advice PM and I will supply my husband's e-mail address.

I may have not understood what my husband told me, be here we go:

He says it far easier and cheaper to obtain a driving licence for a 50tonne petroleum tanker (mobile bomb) than a firearms licence. Whilst the Germans may bear weapons there are a myriad of restrictions with firearms that are legal here (France) being contrary to the German War Weapons Control Act. Then there is the requirement that the applicant must provide a valid reason for wanting to buy, own and shoot a particular gun – that is just for balltrap and target shooting. He seems to think membership of a shooting club is mandatory.

A firearms licence for hunting is a totally different game – the applicant needs to complete a hunters course and passed the exam (2000 EUR). You have to learn “butchery,” “veterinary,” “ranger,” “groundsman,” “lawyer,” “gunsmith” and “ballistic” skills as well as firearms use, laws and handling etc. Do not expect to pass the exam at the first attempt – the failure rate is around 70%.

Finally, do not expect to receive a Concealed Carry (CC) permit. You will only get one of those if you are considered to be in serious danger of bodily harm or kidnapping. Again, you have to establish that you in terrible danger. Being shot more than once is considered adequate proof that you qualify. Being murdered is the best proof to get a CC. Unfortunately, a posthumous CC isn’t much use. The state does not allow citizens to be buried with a loaded weapon.

My husband respectfully suggests that you contact the German Embassy in your home country requesting they send you, free of charge, their booklet on weapons ownership and firearms licensing.

If you would like some further advice PM and I will supply my husband's e-mail address.
Private firearms used to be covered by the Status of Forces Agreement.. so before you start bothering the German embassy, check with your unit in Germany as to what the current regulations are. You will need a UK licence if/when you bring any guns back to UK. There used to be an arrangement to buy guns via the US Rod & Gun clubs at a considerable discount..

As I said, there was a special arrangement for British forces to pass the hunting exams and get a licence.. we set up the system remember! Again check when you get to your unit before going on the German net..

..but I agree - I doubt if you will be able to buy a pistol..

Private firearms used to be covered by the Status of Forces Agreement.. so before you start bothering the German embassy, check with your unit in Germany as to what the current regulations are. You will need a UK licence if/when you bring any guns back to UK. There used to be an arrangement to buy guns via the US Rod & Gun clubs at a considerable discount..

As I said, there was a special arrangement for British forces to pass the hunting exams and get a licence.. we set up the system remember! Again check when you get to your unit before going on the German net..

..but I agree - I doubt if you will be able to buy a pistol..
If I am not mistaken (a not unknown state of affairs) if you have a Jagdschein, you have to carry a pistol to deliver the coup deGrace to a wounded animal, although why the rifle you used is not suitable for that is a mystery to me.

I expect Alcesian or Cerronemos will be able to expand on that.

cheers some good info on here i guess when i get to germany il be able to fill in most of the gaps and answer some of the questions.

Yeah i read that when hunting you carry a hand gun to dispatch any animal that may be suffering that you have shot.

Seems alot of money just to obtain a license to hunt considering that many fail pass on the second go its 4k

Wot Flash said. For target shooting, join the nearest shooting club. If your garrison doesn't have one the local German club will welcome you and the Germans are fanatical about shooting. Speaking German will be a distinct advantage.

For game shooting you will need to get get a Jadgshein, which allows you to hold rifles, shotguns and pistols. Under German law, when you go game shooting you must be carrying a pistol both for self protection (against wild boar, bears) and to administer the last rites to wounded animals.

As flash said, you will need to undertake a course and an examination for this. The Germans have to do a two year course and a very stringent examination, squaddies do a watered down version. Remember however that is you don't know your stuff and you go out on a shoot and cull the wrong animal, or another human, you are liable to go to jail.

All weapons MUST be kept in your unit armoury.

Edited to add that I was one of the first to pass the course back in about 1981/2.

Some good advice here from old Germany hands. You need to confirm if you are after a UK licence - and then taking your gat with you or if you are after a German licence only (either way you will need a German licence). The is a BFGSO relating to this and sadly the MP community in DE, in my experience, go out of their way to make firearms ownership very difficult.
If you are clay shooting - as advised, join your local club, gain experience and then decide if you need your own gun. The club and your base will be able to advise on the follow on process.

If you wish to hunt you need to complete an Auslander jagschein. You are unlikely to get on this without some previous hunting or shooting experience (certainly I hope they are still applying this rule). There are 2 Jagdgruppes still running in GE I understand - Rheine area has closed I think. (so Hohne and Sennelager areas should be about).

Shooting is very popular in DE, your local base or community will have a club nearby - this is your route in. Seek advice from those involved on firearms ownership and licences, dont try and sort before you go.

Some good advice here from old Germany hands. You need to confirm if you are after a UK licence - and then taking your gat with you or if you are after a German licence only (either way you will need a German licence). The is a BFGSO relating to this and sadly the MP community in DE, in my experience, go out of their way to make firearms ownership very difficult.
If you are clay shooting - as advised, join your local club, gain experience and then decide if you need your own gun. The club and your base will be able to advise on the follow on process.

If you wish to hunt you need to complete an Auslander jagschein. You are unlikely to get on this without some previous hunting or shooting experience (certainly I hope they are still applying this rule). There are 2 Jagdgruppes still running in GE I understand - Rheine area has closed I think. (so Hohne and Sennelager areas should be about).

Shooting is very popular in DE, your local base or community will have a club nearby - this is your route in. Seek advice from those involved on firearms ownership and licences, dont try and sort before you go.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! GATS FIRE DARTS AND CORKS! Sorry, long night

cheers some good info on here i guess when i get to germany il be able to fill in most of the gaps and answer some of the questions.

Yeah i read that when hunting you carry a hand gun to dispatch any animal that may be suffering that you have shot.

Seems alot of money just to obtain a license to hunt considering that many fail pass on the second go its 4k
As others have said, find your local club first, and learn German- you'll need it. If you want clay shooting it's fairly common, most German gun clubs cater for that and rifle shooting. Most will have club guns available for use on the shooting ground.
For any game shooting you'll need to pass the Jagdschein course, have permission from your CO to store civilian weapons in the armoury, get a Waffenbesitz karte from the local council, which they won't give you until you've bought the relevant insurance. As others said, if your Licence covers full bore rifles you'll automatically get a permit for one pistol. The local council, the insurance companies, gun shops and clubs are usually helpful, if you speak German. Try coming along expecting them to deal with you in English and you'll be fucked off. There used to be a BFG form you could get, in English and German, which basically said that , as a British soldier, you'd successfully completed training in safe handling of firearms and basic shooting skills, so add that to your shopping list.

Having got all that together, having introduced yourself to local shooters, having proven to their satisfaction that you're not some clown who'll blat anything that moves, then you might, just might, get invited to a shoot. Once again, if you can't understand German, you'll **** up and won't be invited again. If you're accepted into the fraternity you might be lucky enough, in a good year, to get 3 or 4 shoots. If you have time and money, the German authorities will sell you permission to help out in the cull. The permit will state exactly what you're permitted to shoot, eg red stag up to 3 years old, they'll give you a map and area to cover, and about a week IIRC. Trust me, it's quite common to spend every dawn/dusk up a shooting tower for a week and see every species/age/gender except the one on your permit. Cock it up, you're looking at fairly horrendous fines, possible retraction of licences, losing insurance cover and possibly jail time.

Incidentally, the permit only lets you shoot the animal and gralloch it; if you want the meat, skin or trophies, you pay more.

Lastly,don't forget that every Billy -no-mates arms storeman will **** about with your stuff in his armoury, so get lockable gun boxes.

So go for it, enjoy, you'll learn a lot and make some good friends if you do it right, but before you spend a fortune ( on weapons, clothing and accessories, after shoot piss ups etc), remember you'll likely get less than a week's game shooting ( with shotgun) per year, while Deer and Pigs will hurt your wallet more.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R The NAAFI Bar 42
M Multinational HQ 21
Aunty Stella The Intelligence Cell 71