Firearms Licencing in the News again...

The police conducted tests using .50 rifles at 300m and failed to imobilise a single vehicle.

The 1,800m range quoted is the maximum effective range of the M2 Heavy Machine Gun.

The NCA are well aware of this however continue to lie.

As we use them for target shooting they are obviously not too powerful.

The police forces do not support a ban, the licencing deptartments I deal with have no objections to the continued ownership of large calibre target rifles and had no clue that the proposed restrictions were coming.

Im surprised the Police actually managed to hit a vehicle at 300m!

I would seriously hope that the individual who failed to hit a cow with their first shot would have had his competency ticket pulled immediately.

...absolutely no excuse for this!
To be fair he did hit it, just not the humane first killing shot blowing out the heart and lungs that you'd want when shooting a live animal.

To be fair he did hit it, just not the humane first killing shot blowing out the heart and lungs that you'd want when shooting a live animal.
If you consider the budget the various Police forces have spent on sniper kit and training in the past few decades, and the justification they have put up for so doing, I'm sorry, the fact that they cannot drop a cow at a time and distance of their choosing with sub MoA kit is appalling..!

If you consider the budget the various Police forces have spent on sniper kit and training in the past few decades, and the justification they have put up for so doing, I'm sorry, the fact that they cannot drop a cow at a time and distance of their choosing with sub MoA kit is appalling..!
They probably didn't even know where to put the bullet... And the shooter was probably nervous AF given the police's usual policy of not liking armed officers to be too comfortable firing guns, or too interested in them outside of work...

If they`d have asker the local slaughterman / farmer to deal with it he`d have walked up to it very quietly and shot it at 10 yards , or better still got it into a cattle truck and taken it away live, the Rozzers seem to think they always know better, they dont.

They probably didn't even know where to put the bullet... And the shooter was probably nervous AF given the police's usual policy of not liking armed officers to be too comfortable firing guns, or too interested in them outside of work...
A couple of generations back, children going to school, on seeing a cow out of its field would have been able to deal with this.

And no cattle would have needed shooting.

A couple of generations back, children going to school, on seeing a cow out of its field would have been able to deal with this.

And no cattle would have needed shooting.
Here, all a 7 year old needs to control a herd of cattle is a stick and an Edelweiss shirt. The Edelweiss shirt is optional though :D

From experience shooting them in the napper (brain) is the most effective and humane way of dealing with cattle, in fact any live animal, I’m not even going to start debating the potential risks of taking head shots but suffice to say they work providing the circumstances are right.

I would also say that the issue of shooting stuff at very close ranges becomes problematic when people don’t appreciate the difference in POA/POI from a rifle zero’d at 100m. Possibly the case here which is obviously a knowledge/training issue which needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
Would like to hope that the RSPCA brings a prosecution for causing un-necessary suffering - after all, rules is rules.

From experience shooting them in the napper (brain) is the most effective and humane way of dealing with cattle, in fact any live animal, I’m not even going to start debating the potential risks of taking head shots but suffice to say they work providing the circumstances are right.

I would also say that the issue of shooting stuff at very close ranges becomes problematic when people don’t appreciate the difference in POA/POI from a rifle zero’d at 100m. Possibly the case here which is obviously a knowledge/training issue which needs to be addressed.
The then Home Office PSDB used to do a booklet on where to shoot animals to euthanise them for use by the police.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

Would like to hope that the RSPCA brings a prosecution for causing un-necessary suffering - after all, rules is rules.
Careful what you wish for, while the Polis have made a hash of it, it was dead.

If you use that basis for all live animals I’ve had guests and seen guests/clients make an absolute cnut of shots on deer (all claimed to be ‘experienced’ deer stalkers - you know those who are and those who aren’t by watching them) which have, on occasion, ended not very well.

It’s a slippery path to walk down taking the moral high ground if you add too much meat to the bones in all honesty. I’d have to rake through the ‘best practice’ guide as it’s probably in there but if there is a time for death it probably states ‘reasonable’ - take from that what you will.