Firearms Licencing in the News again...

ugly

LE
This year one of our neighbours has joined the shoot, I gave him carte blanche to deal with any foxes on our ground near him. In less than a month he despatched 20 of them. Feck knows where they have come from but Ive only seen one on the farm in daylight since he started. He uses a .222 and shoots from his bedroom.

This year one of our neighbours has joined the shoot, I gave him carte blanche to deal with any foxes on our ground near him. In less than a month he despatched 20 of them. Feck knows where they have come from but Ive only seen one on the farm in daylight since he started. He uses a .222 and shoots from his bedroom.
He’s got an understanding wife. Brass (the metallic cartridge) in the bedsheets

ugly

LE
He’s got an understanding wife. Brass (the metallic cartridge) in the bedsheets
Lucky fecker isn't married but Ive seen his girlfriend and yes I would.

Sounds like my SOP for corvids and any other lawful quarry species. The beef cattle finishing shed is about 50 yards from my place and when they are fed bakery waste the little blighters descend in large numbers which I am gradually reducing with my moderated .22 .

ugly

LE
The bloke is a fox magnet, starts at about half nine in the evening and he scans the ground with a thermal every few minutes and if anything shows up he uses the night sight fitted Tikka T3 in 222. He is wrapped up by 2230 and usually bags one an evening at least.

The bloke is a fox magnet, starts at about half nine in the evening and he scans the ground with a thermal every few minutes and if anything shows up he uses the night sight fitted Tikka T3 in 222. He is wrapped up by 2230 and usually bags one an evening at least.
Wonder if some ‘do gooder’ charity or similar is releasing ‘repaired’ vermin near to you Ugly? Are the foxes soft to go at in general with you?

ugly

LE
Wonder if some ‘do gooder’ charity or similar is releasing ‘repaired’ vermin near to you Ugly? Are the foxes soft to go at in general with you?
Not really, we dont have any shoots as neighbours so that may explain why we are a fox magnet, its all woodlands around us.

Not really, we dont have any shoots as neighbours so that may explain why we are a fox magnet, its all woodlands around us.
Are the neighbours approachable, will they let you shoot them and you could sort a lot of your potential problems at den times if they are? Shit you could have an arrse shooting party next year at the dens!!

ugly

LE
Are the neighbours approachable, will they let you shoot them and you could sort a lot of your potential problems at den times if they are? Shit you could have an arrse shooting party next year at the dens!!
Forestry commission north and south, a small town east and west its reasonable neighbours who manage the foxes

My view is that although the Police clearly have a stake in the management of Firearms, they should no longer administer the licencing process, which should be run by an independent and impartial agency.
Like the Passport Agency? That would work sooooooooooooo well.

Any impartial agency will either require a staff of thousands, or rely on the police, heavily.

Just got my renewal reminder in the post from Hants…

Well, I say reminder, its mainly a list of options for handing in your guns for disposal and or destruction.

I see youpersonally have to submit your shooting records now for all your guns.

Seems to have gone 180 from one of the more shooter friendly Counties to FOAD shooter scum.

Well, I say reminder, its mainly a list of options for handing in your guns for disposal and or destruction.

Seems to have gone 180 from one of the more shooter friendly Counties to FOAD shooter scum.
Never heard of having to keep records of use , I`d mention it to BASC or the likes.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Never heard of having to keep records of use , I`d mention it to BASC or the likes.
Or it's from the same place as his L85A2 experiences, ie. his fantasy.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Unless you are a professional pest controller/gamekeeper or out all the time how much impact do you actually think you make on the ground you shoot out of interest (and I’m not trying to sound facetious btw)?
in 5 years i have taken 1000 Acres of mixed arable and dairy land from infested with rabbits to "some rabbits" pest birds around feed area and stalls now fear humans. rats in winter sheds wiped out by night shooting. i cant get on top of the birds on the crops though. the farmer thinks
I've made a big difference. i probably put in 10 hrs most weeks.

IIRC a Police Sargeant suggested Thomas Hamilton / Dumblane was not suitable to posses firearms , his observation was ignored by his superiors , Hamiltons FAC was re newed , the rest is a tragic history.
We had something similiar happen in Australia recently. Bloke had massive red flags against his name and was banned from obtain a firearms licence, yet someone in the NSW Police dept buggered up and gave him a "Commissioners Permit" which overrode any concerns and he was able to own firearms. The same firearms he shot his kids with.

John Edwards granted 'Commissioner's Permit' to begin gun training

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Record of use for target shooter, land authority for vermin control.
When I was changing address recently, I was asked for the same.

Flagged it up to BASC with a couple of questions:
Is this normal procedure? - not as far as they are aware.
If I don't have authority in the police area concerned will this be an issue with an open FAC? Shouldn't be (it wasn't), but lets us know if it is.

On the plus side, having provided all the paperwork, it was processed in less than 3 days

ugly

LE

Yet Hants are held up by Surrey and Sussex as examples of how to do it!