Firearms Licencing in the News again...

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
If you are incapable of dealing with criminals, its far easier to lash out at the law-abiding.
If something cannot be done about a problem, something must be seen to be done.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yep, but if the criteria for what constitutes an antique changes, their ‘value’ is probably worthless as you’re unlikely to get any money for them lawfully.
Are you suggesting the presently law-abiding will be forced to become criminals?

Are you suggesting the presently law-abiding will be forced to become criminals?
Like lots of things, if the goalposts are moved, people end up outside the law.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Like lots of things, if the goalposts are moved, people end up outside the law.
Agreed.
Strange that legislation should be amended in order to create a new group of criminals.

On the other hand it would also create a sudden rise in catching criminals, thereby proving the efficacy of such legislation.

Agreed.
Strange that legislation should be amended in order to create a new group of criminals.
It always has done. I can't recall much legislation ever passed on any subject that decriminalises anything
On the other hand it would also create a sudden rise in catching criminals, thereby proving the efficacy of such legislation.
Imx, like the shotguns 'off ticket' after the '88 Act, they come to the surface infrequently. But they do surface eventually.

Surely a collection of off ticket guns will remain off ticket as the old bill shouldn't know they even exist?

If owning, selling or transferring them now attracts a five-year tariff, for example, then they'll quickly be handed in to go to the smelter.

Thats the beauty (from a government point of view) of attacking a population group that is the most law-abiding - they can be relied on to abide by the law.

David Penn’s argument. They already do, so why should they pay to Police someone’s hobby?
Would they like the cost of vermin control, crop & forest protection largely done for free added to their food bill?
I guarantee it'd be significantly more than the public pay towards firearms licensing.

Would they like the cost of vermin control, crop & forest protection largely done for free added to their food bill?
I guarantee it'd be significantly more than the public pay towards firearms licensing.
What’s your argument? That the public have to pay for ‘extra things’ on top of what they pay in tax, both income and rates for the Police or any other govt body to provide something? It’s a fact of life.

The public in general couldn’t care less about vermin control and the damage inflicted by vermin and deer. Same as they don’t know about the good wildlife preservation does when undertaking pheasant, grouse shoots or even just maintaining a flight pond.

Unless the shooting sports do something to promote the good they do, you’ll always get the ‘anti’s’ pushing their agenda. Fox hunting to coarse fishing and shooting. It’s a slippery slope and shooting organisations that I pay my subs to do little to change public perception and haven’t since the ‘80’s at least

ugly

LE
All that money spent at Marford Mill on a press centre!

Its been said before that the Police can do better and one or two forces do it really cheaply. The different departments could all be managed centrally using a single head office that set standards and clarified guidance. That is all that is needed. Access to the PNC? Simple they have it now moving them into a room without the word police above the door doesn't change them in any way.

Simply licence the shooter, not fixate on the guns, type of guns, calibre of guns and the amount of bullets for said guns.

Do a PNC check,
Get the letter from the club
Take fee

"Mr Shooter is hereby authorised to acquire 10 firearms and ammunition therefore.'

Easy as that.,

What paperwork burden? It’s a form to fill out, one to send to your doctor and few photos plus your permission to shoot at club/ground to shoot on.

It isn’t rocket science and a 6 month probationary period (or whatever it is), isn’t exactly that taxing if it’s something your interested in. As a club secretary it’s confirming joe bloggs has been a regular attender - again not that taxing.

When I attended a small bore club most of the people who gave up did so because it wasn’t for them or they didn’t ‘get’ why they couldn’t buy their own rifle straight away or simply just lost interest.

For the general public, its a pain in the arse.
First find your professionals in good standing who will sign you are not a nutter
Even my GP will no longer sign off on an FAC application.

Its completely unneccesay… if you come up blank and no AR's on the PNC, what's the need for some teacher you know saying you're a good kiddie?

ugly

LE
If owning, selling or transferring them now attracts a five-year tariff, for example, then they'll quickly be handed in to go to the smelter.

Thats the beauty (from a government point of view) of attacking a population group that is the most law-abiding - they can be relied on to abide by the law.
So are they suggesting they get registered? Good luck with that, I expect they would try a brocock style farce first

What’s your argument? That the public have to pay for ‘extra things’ on top of what they pay in tax, both income and rates for the Police or any other govt body to provide something? It’s a fact of life.

The public in general couldn’t care less about vermin control and the damage inflicted by vermin and deer. Same as they don’t know about the good wildlife preservation does when undertaking pheasant, grouse shoots or even just maintaining a flight pond.

Unless the shooting sports do something to promote the good they do, you’ll always get the ‘anti’s’ pushing their agenda. Fox hunting to coarse fishing and shooting. It’s a slippery slope and shooting organisations that I pay my subs to do little to change public perception and haven’t since the ‘80’s at least
Read my post: That's my argument.
If the UK wants most of its firearms based pest control done gratis at the point of supply, then they shouldn't complain about paying a small percentage of the cost by other means.
If you can't see that, then why even bother reading my post?

If something cannot be done about a problem, something must be seen to be done.

Oi! Keep your hands off my Brocock!

Im only surprised they didn't ban 3/8" drill bits, after all, the Daily Fail said that was all I needed to turn it into a deadly .357 Magnum

For the general public, its a pain in the arse.
First find your professionals in good standing who will sign you are not a nutter
Even my GP will no longer sign off on an FAC application.

Its completely unneccesay… if you come up blank and no AR's on the PNC, what's the need for some teacher you know saying you're a good kiddie?
You do realise that changed for FACs eons ago?

ugly

LE
Read my post: That's my argument.
If the UK wants most of its firearms based pest control done gratis at the point of supply, then they shouldn't complain about paying a small percentage of the cost by other means.
I read your post. As I said, the public couldn't care less about pest control
If you can't see that, then why even bother reading my post?
Your point is that the public don't know what is going on. My point is they couldn't care less.

As it happens, firearms licensing doesn't get full cost recovery. We pay nothing towards any of the multitude of additional's I posted earlier in the thread. It's based on average costs across the Forces and some additional's which encompass vehicles, heating, lighting, rates etc. It does nothing on further investigations, Appeals, legal advidce etc. etc.