Firearms Licencing in the News again...

Following on the Law Commission's review of Firearms Law a couple of months ago, we have Her Majesties Inspector of Constabularies wading in this morning...

https://ukshootingnews.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/hmic-firearms-licensing-thematic-report.pdf

You may have picked up some of the trumpeting on the News this morning..

This seems to have appeared without the knowledge of the shooting organisations and has some fairly questionable proposals...

1. Automatic unannounced right of access to a firearm licence holders premises on the basis of "intelligence" but without a warrant.
2. Mandatory medical examination of all FAC and SGC applicants.
3. Implementation of mandatory national rules on licencing criteria and decisions.

The report outlines some quite shocking bad practice and inefficiency in the implementation of the existing regime, which needs addressing, however I think the whole report is taken from a very narrow Police oriented perspective and IMHO assumes FAR too much authority for the Police.

From my perspective, the Police have demonstrated a clear inability to carry out this process in an effective and efficient manner. The whole report is highly biased and whilst admitting the risk in reality is extremely low yet demands sweeping new powers to interfere with citizens responsible use of their property...

My view is that although the Police clearly have a stake in the management of Firearms, they should no longer administer the licencing process, which should be run by an independent and impartial agency.

T

Tinman74

The funding of which would come from the NHS, the joy of shooting, clays and targets quiets the mind.

DTBA

Old-Salt
Proof that if you give these people an inch they'll take a mile.

"We only want to have licencing"
"We only want to introduce some checks"
"We only want to ban guns for self defence, you can still have them for sporting and hunting use"
"Actually we want to ban certain types of firearms altogether, but only the scary assault rifles"
"Now we're going to ban handguns, but don't worry because you can still own rifles and shotguns"

And now here we are. There should have been no negotiation whatsoever.

I seem to remember a thread a while ago where someone had been caught out by the regulations. I suggested at the time you (as in the shooting community) need to come together and forge the way ahead regarding regulation.

There followed a lot of hand wringing and cries of its impossible and why should we have to etc, etc. you reap what you sow, or in this case what you couldn't be arsed to sow.

While you fail to take the concerns of the general public into consideration then you're always going to struggle with regulation.

It's a shame because it need not be that way.

I leave the mob in a year or so and about to apply for my shotgun licence - reason being I am a pretty decent shot with service pistol and rifle, but could never hit a thing with a shotgun at have-a-go days. So a bit of a challenge will be good for me.
I'm beginning to wonder if I will still be allowed to have one by that point.

I leave the mob in a year or so and about to apply for my shotgun licence - reason being I am a pretty decent shot with service pistol and rifle, but could never hit a thing with a shotgun at have-a-go days. So a bit of a challenge will be good for me.
Depends if you successfully jump through the hoops required.

The real issue is the police fail to do their job as it is when it comes to current regulations.

Ding,

At one level I don't disagree; the UK shooting organisations are far from ideal.. however I don't think something akin to the American NRA would be right either..

At the end of the day, the Police should uphold the law, not create or interpret it... The firearms acts a bloody mess, however they are based, at the end of the day on discretion, and the recognition that there is a legitimate reason for people to possess firearms..

How so? Do you have an example?
Oh yes.. lots - this report is full of them.. have a read!

Mainly down to not issuing renewal within the required time and making up illegal solutions!

How so? Do you have an example?
IIRC a Police Sargeant suggested Thomas Hamilton / Dumblane was not suitable to posses firearms , his observation was ignored by his superiors , Hamiltons FAC was re newed , the rest is a tragic history.

The police have to issue with a shotgun certificate provided you have the appropriate secure storage and there is no evidence that you present a threat to the public.

That said.. I would join a clay club and learn how to use it!

The police have to issue with a shotgun certificate provided you have the appropriate secure storage and there is no evidence that you present a threat to the public.

That said.. I would join a clay club and learn how to use it!
Intend to! Pointless and expensive exercise otherwise.

Ding,

At one level I don't disagree; the UK shooting organisations are far from ideal.. however I don't think something akin to the American NRA would be right either..

At the end of the day, the Police should uphold the law, not create or interpret it... The firearms acts a bloody mess, however they are based, at the end of the day on discretion, and the recognition that there is a legitimate reason for people to possess firearms..
You don't need anything like that. You would be an ideal candidate to produce a set of workable regulations, sit down with a legal exec then present your workings to the law society.

I am not against the Police per say.. I just think they are the wrong people to administer firearms...

Now that we have lost local policemen who knew their beats and people the ability of the police as an organisation to judge individuals has gone... History demonstrates that the Police are rubbish at licencing jobs.. they consistently made a hash of pub licencing and taxi licencing and have to all intents and purposes have had these tasks taken away from them..

As i said above, I have no issue with them being part of the system, and handling the criminal aspects of the business, however they have really no place in the administration of a wholly law abiding activity.. otherwise why are the Police not involved in All licencing activities such as driving, flying and use of power tools, all of which are potentially lethal...

You don't need anything like that. You would be an ideal candidate to produce a set of workable regulations, sit down with a legal exec then present your workings to the law society.
I might just do that...!

It looks like this is good evidence, in addition the Hungerford and Dunblane (among others), for a suggestion to the Law Commission that they police should be relived of their responsibility for firearms licensing.

I shall be doing so in the morning.

It looks like this is good evidence, in addition the Hungerford and Dunblane (among others), for a suggestion to the Law Commission that they police should be relived of their responsibility for firearms licensing.

I shall be doing so in the morning.
Who should then?