Firearms licence application

ugly

LE
Was this the BBM Olympic blank firers?
Yup no time in parliament so just roll them, and although there were legitimate concerns over them being converted it was sledgehammer tactics to deal with minority criminals killing minority criminals

Yup no time in parliament so just roll them, and although there were legitimate concerns over them being converted it was sledgehammer tactics to deal with minority criminals killing minority criminals
And yet the BBM Magnum which was identical apart from a longer barrel was not specified showing that the Home Office are spectacularly clueless.

However if we can garner enough support to defeat it in Parliment I would be overjoyed. I do know that it would be criminal for us not to try.

ugly

LE
And yet the BBM Magnum which was identical apart from a longer barrel was not specified showing that the Home Office are spectacularly clueless.

However if we can garner enough support to defeat it in Parliment I would be overjoyed. I do know that it would be criminal for us not to try.
It's mps support you need, but good luck, there aren't enough Kate Hooeys around. Believe it or not Cameron for all his faults was an ally

Most of the responses so far have been cut and paste from a minion in their office, the times an MP has read the submissions they have been supportive. It's getting to the MP's and at the moment with the continual Brexit backstabbing its a bit fun.

Hi all. I'm in the process of applying for a firearms ticket and I've got a couple of questions. My old man has one currently but wants to relinquish it and pass his old .22 on to me - more of which later. The question is is it a good idea to request calibres which I intend to buy in the future? For instance I've always wanted a Lee Enfield so should I ask for .303 as well as .22?

The second question is about convictions. It says traffic offences and speeding convictions but not fixed penalties. Like most people I've been done for speeding on the odd occasion, do I need to put these down?

The other question is about my old man's rifle. It's a BSA Sportsman 5 in lovely condition but diffy one rather important part. In his infinite wisdom my dad decided years ago to keep the rifle and bolt separate. Now strangely enough we can't find the bloody thing anywhere! Is there any chance of getting hold of another bolt or should I just bite the bullet and buy a whole new rifle?
with your historical interests Brewmeister I'd have thought one of these would be on the cards...

and a good association Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain

Not sure where you are based but my advice would be put time in on the range for 6 months before you submit your application. If possible get some time in at Bisley - basically shoot as much as you can as regularly as you can and the club should record what gats you blat while you are going through probation with them.

There is a limit to the ammount of ammo you can reasonably hold, but stick everything you want to shoot on your application and your club secretary will sign off the application cause you will need a reference.

Subject to which Force you live in, somewhere between 6 months to 40 years after applying, plod will turn up to check your gaff and make sure you aren’t mental.

I think that’s broadly it. Oh hand guns are a waste of time now cause the have big metal bits welded to them because Tony Blair is a twat

I completed my DSC1 yesterday. I had no idea before I was told when I completed the exams that there's a four to six week delay getting the results, slightly frustrating but there it is. This is a pre-requisite to get a .308 on my FAC for deer.

I'm not getting into a bun fight about the validity/usefulness of the course, I have to do it for the variation. If I may though, some comments that may assist others considering doing the course.

I did the course with Corinium (Paul Hill) with BASC as the approving body. I would thoroughly recommend Paul as a course provider.

You definitely need to do the pre-learning (I picked up my manual in March and did a few hours per week) using the manual prior to the course. Unless you're on some sort of spectrum, you won't pick up what you need in the two days of classroom sessions. How you do it is horses for courses. I need to learn off the page and read the details. One chap turned up saying he'd memorised the whole thing off a web site for £20 and didn't open his manual all weekend.

You are provided with the full circa 490 multiple choice question and answer bank in the manual and the answers are all contained within. The exams then consists of 40 questions on ecology, species seasons and legislation followed by a second 40 question paper on game meat health and hygiene all picked from the bank. It was preceded by a species and sex ID session consisting of 20 images.

Then off to the range for the shooting test. It is easy, one chap had never picked up a firearm in his life (he was a pest controller sent by his firm) and he passed. The simulated stalk is also fine but again, you do need to have read the questions and answers in the manual to respond correctly to the assessor.

I confess I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. I enjoy learning anyway so this is not so much of a ''tick box'' to get the variation as a very good ''grounding''. Like a driving test, my approach is that you pass it and then learn to drive. I'm moderately confident of a pass. Whilst I wait for the results, I'm going to get some trigger time with the estate .308 at Corinium and focus on ensuring a humane kill on the range before heading out into the field.

All being well, in a few months, I'll be able to make inroads into the Fallow currently destroying large parts of my shoot.
I did my DSC1 at the beginning of May & had my certificate arrive at the end of May.
Two reasons for doing it:
1) A genuine interest in the subject.
2) Forest Enterprise require DSC1, EFAW+F (Basic first aid really & did that last week) & being signed up for DSC2 before they'll talk about leases.

It annoys me that Constabularies set preconditions such as this, as they're not supposed to & I don't think they actually have the authority.
Of course challenging such an arbitrary condition puts the challenger's head well above the parapet & & think it's that they're relying on.

As for the latest BS over GP's letters...

Interesting that they made you do DSC to get the variation.

When I applied for my FAC I just told them I wanted a .270 cos I’d be bambi bashing at some point.

They never asked for proof of having done a DSC or suggested that I’d need to do one. They just issued me an FAC with space for a .270 on it.
That's because we live in a civilised county. :wink:

Not the case up here. A mate with no shooting experience had no snags getting an FAC. Interestingly he wasn’t sure what sort of rifle he wanted so the copper said to just put .22 centrefire on the form.

His FAC just says .22 centrefire which basically means he can have .223, .22-250, .22 hornet etc. etc.

Our copper is a very sound bloke.
Was that a copper or our FEO? (the latter's a non plod but a very good bloke indeed).

Most of the responses so far have been cut and paste from a minion in their office, the times an MP has read the submissions they have been supportive. It's getting to the MP's and at the moment with the continual Brexit backstabbing its a bit fun.
I had the boilerplate HO reply from Trudy Harrison & wrote back pointing out it was a less than impressive effort on her part, as I want to know where my she as my MP stands, not the HO Party Line.

Currently awaiting a reply.

with your historical interests Brewmeister I'd have thought one of these would be on the cards...

and a good association Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain
Keep going! I'm nearly there! I'd love to own a Baker but have you seen the price of the fecking things? We've got an original Brown Bess (Heavy Cavalry carbine) from about 1810. Smoothbore obviously so it's on a shotgun ticket. My boy's a crack shot with it on the clays!

Not sure where you are based but my advice would be put time in on the range for 6 months before you submit your application. If possible get some time in at Bisley - basically shoot as much as you can as regularly as you can and the club should record what gats you blat while you are going through probation with them.

There is a limit to the ammount of ammo you can reasonably hold, but stick everything you want to shoot on your application and your club secretary will sign off the application cause you will need a reference.

Subject to which Force you live in, somewhere between 6 months to 40 years after applying, plod will turn up to check your gaff and make sure you aren’t mental.

I think that’s broadly it. Oh hand guns are a waste of time now cause the have big metal bits welded to them because Tony Blair is a twat
Thanks mate. I'm in Dorset. Plod have already checked my security arrangements and are happy that I'm not mental. I'm a probationary member of the local gun club so as soon as I've got full membership they'll sign off my ticket.

Interesting that they made you do DSC to get the variation.

When I applied for my FAC I just told them I wanted a .270 cos I’d be bambi bashing at some point.

They never asked for proof of having done a DSC or suggested that I’d need to do one. They just issued me an FAC with space for a .270 on it.
Did it help telling Carlton Hall you had sea slug and dart on your old ticket?.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Did it help telling Carlton Hall you had sea slug and dart on your old ticket?.
To be fair I think some competence was implied when I explained that I was military and used to manage a gun factory. ;)

To be fair I think some competence was implied when I explained that I was military and used to manage a gun factory. ;)
When acting a referee for a mate who had over 25 years service as a Matelot the local firearms admin argued that his experience was not relevant to handling civilian firearms, (He`d been an armourer! ) I explained his firearms knowledge and self discipline would be far better than a civilians , she wouldn't have it so I shut up rather than screw his application up, stupid cow, he got his license.

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
When acting a referee for a mate who had over 25 years service as a Matelot the local firearms admin argued that his experience was not relevant to handling civilian firearms, (He`d been an armourer! ) I explained his firearms knowledge and self discipline would be far better than a civilians , she wouldn't have so I shut up rather than screw his application up, stupid cow, he got his license.
Sounds like our guy up here is a breath of fresh air compared to the others round the country.

I did my DSC1 at the beginning of May & had my certificate arrive at the end of May.
Two reasons for doing it:
1) A genuine interest in the subject.
2) Forest Enterprise require DSC1, EFAW+F (Basic first aid really & did that last week) & being signed up for DSC2 before they'll talk about leases.

It annoys me that Constabularies set preconditions such as this, as they're not supposed to & I don't think they actually have the authority.
Of course challenging such an arbitrary condition puts the challenger's head well above the parapet & & think it's that they're relying on.

As for the latest BS over GP's letters...
And I think that that is a major motivator for doing the course. A couple of young chaps turned up for re-sits of both papers, having been sent by their employer. You could tell by their general demeanour that they couldn't give a siht. The invigilator caught one trying to copy from the other and ejected him. Both failed - again. That attitude is costing the employer, not just the £600 for the course taken but also every time for the re-sits, with both likely to end up on the street rather having than a qualification that could be of use to their careers. Muppets.

I've now booked my gralloching course, again, in the spirit of learning to do the job properly rather than either relying on others to do the task when I shoot an animal or hacking away at a carcass with no idea what I'm doing with potentially catastrophic results in terms of contamination and presentation.

Agree re head-above-parapet, in lieu of legislation, having only ''guidelines'', this is definitely a strategy to keep us in our box. My approach is to smother them with charm, kindness and reasoned argument. Once I (hopefully) receive my certificate, a scan of the document will be winging its way with a variation application for the .308. At that time, I expect I shall have to bolster my stock of charm, kindness and reasoned argument and square my shoulders before heading over the top into the no-mans land of the FEO's opinion.