Firearms licence application

ugly

LE
Interesting that they made you do DSC to get the variation.

When I applied for my FAC I just told them I wanted a .270 cos I’d be bambi bashing at some point.

They never asked for proof of having done a DSC or suggested that I’d need to do one. They just issued me an FAC with space for a .270 on it.
It helps when your back garden is the size of a large county, mine is only 2000 acres so a smallholding really!

When I applied for my FAC I just told them I wanted a .270 cos I’d be bambi bashing at some point.

They never asked for proof of having done a DSC or suggested that I’d need to do one. They just issued me an FAC with space for a .270 on it.
@ugly got in ahead of me - as noted, if you have a permission the size of Wales, you’re probably ahead of most applicants :cool:

There was a fair amount of discussion during the course regarding the differing standards applied by the various firearms teams across the country. For example, Gloucestershire insists on not only DSC1 pass, but also a number of successful stalks with witness confirmation.

The situation appears to be that, whilst there are the Home Office guidelines for firearms law, many county’s firearms teams approach is dictated by the zeal of the CC to rid his patch of the danger to life and limb posed by those willing to put their hands up and subject themselves to the correct processes and vetting in order to hold said firearm. Not to perhaps focus on those who would obtain an illegal firearm without checking with dibble first and go on a shooting spree/revenge attack, nope, that’s just a ridiculous suggestion :confused:

ugly

LE
For example, Gloucestershire insists on not only DSC1 pass, but also a number of successful stalks with witness confirmation.
Glos are shite of the lowest order, lose applications deny they existed, refuse to accept certificates of courses and mentorship evidence. Basically all that could be bad has been found in Glos over the last few years!
Hants were almost as bad yet were held up as an example of best practise by Surrey and Sussex. Frankly I despaired at getting applications through to those clients!

A lot of constabularies insist first time centrefire applicants have a mentor and they are only allowed to shoot with the mentor present.
I do it for a couple of mates.

Glos are shite of the lowest order, lose applications deny they existed, refuse to accept certificates of courses and mentorship evidence. Basically all that could be bad has been found in Glos over the last few years!
Hants were almost as bad yet were held up as an example of best practise by Surrey and Sussex. Frankly I despaired at getting applications through to those clients!
Yup, that behaviour from Gloucester was also noted. Just ridiculous. Another classic example of dibble failing to provide any form of service and squandering public goodwill in the pursuit of individual agendas.

Odd , when I did my DSC1 we got the results then and there , the certificate followed several weeks later.
Same for me. Results there and then, including the failures being told. Certificate in the post within a few weeks

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A lot of constabularies insist first time centrefire applicants have a mentor and they are only allowed to shoot with the mentor present.
I do it for a couple of mates.
Not the case up here. A mate with no shooting experience had no snags getting an FAC. Interestingly he wasn’t sure what sort of rifle he wanted so the copper said to just put .22 centrefire on the form.

His FAC just says .22 centrefire which basically means he can have .223, .22-250, .22 hornet etc. etc.

Our copper is a very sound bloke.

Not the case up here. A mate with no shooting experience had no snags getting an FAC. Interestingly he wasn’t sure what sort of rifle he wanted so the copper said to just put .22 centrefire on the form.

His FAC just says .22 centrefire which basically means he can have .223, .22-250, .22 hornet etc. etc.

The problem with that is some forces insist on the calibre being named exactly

ugly

LE
which it would be on the notification of sale! happened to me once a client with 9mm rifle I laughed.

which it would be on the notification of sale! happened to me once a client with 9mm rifle I laughed.
Some counties cant book out to non specific slots , nonsense I know but some FEO`s make it up as they go along.
Same with proofing of moderators , some counties insist , others aren't bothered.

I have just got the club licence transfered, apparently we now have a 12.9 x 99 rifle, I'll be in at Carleton Hall in the morning, possibly with biscuits.

Must congratulate Cumbria, they shaved off 0.2mm as I waited. However explaining the .50 is half an inch really makes me feel old.

ugly

LE
Must congratulate Cumbria, they shaved off 0.2mm as I waited. However explaining the .50 is half an inch really makes me feel old.
So do they anticipate taking the 50 cal back off you in a month or two?

ugly

LE

ugly

LE
Indeed however it is a losing battle with orders in council, and a very underhand way of changing the law

Indeed however it is a losing battle with orders in council, and a very underhand way of changing the law
There are no orders in council planned, the Home Office have prepared a draft bill.

Stop listening to the lera conspiracy theorists :) I heard loads of cracking theories from them at the phoenix, each one was the true one from an unimpeachable source.

ugly

LE
I haven't listened to the rumours yet an order in council was how they got rid of 38 blank firers and will be the weapon of choice if they can't get a bill through the house. They will have an ally in the current pm and the current home secretary

I haven't listened to the rumours yet an order in council was how they got rid of 38 blank firers and will be the weapon of choice if they can't get a bill through the house. They will have an ally in the current pm and the current home secretary
Was this the BBM Olympic blank firers?