Firearms laws in NI and Eire

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Dec 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Any experience here or websites I should look at?
    The short question is my wife and I have been invited to trade at a couple of Game Fairs bth north and south of the border. We sell Blank firing starter pistols for dog training and also dummy launchers which use .22rf blanks but arent strictly speaking immitation firearms as they dont look like guns. Whats the laws on sales to the public of strer pistols, blanks and dummy launchers on either side of the border and will GCHQ be monitoring this as I will obviously need to take the stock with me on the ferry!
    If its too difficult then I will stay on this side of the Oirish sea!

2. PSNI are the only people to talk to on this one. There are a lot of firearms licences and shotguns about here, but they are the only agency now who deal with anything to do with that sort of stuff. Launchers should not be a problem but to be careful I would contact PSNI direct. If you need a number I'm sure I can get one quickish.

3. Here is a small piece of advice when dealing with the Irish. Unless you are speaking Gaelic, the word is Ireland.

4. And for Ireland you should contact An Garda Siochana at www.garda.ie

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thanks lads, it seems that the boss has deemed it too difficult for this summer so we will see if the show organisers will allow us a greater range of stock, unlike most game fairs the Irish seem to restrict traders to only selling certain types to avoid competition. This means we cant sell leads or traditional canvas dummies so the stand is limited to Dokken dead fowl trainer bits. This means we cant display stock or sell same stock which normally accounts for 2/3rds of sales by volume and 1/2 by value. Kind of rains on the parade but we will look at the local firearms laws and plan contingency, I'd hatee to get locked away for something normal here but a 10 year offence over there!

6. Tis a shame they insist on restricting stock. I was at this years show in Shane's Castle Antrim and there were a number of traders from Scotland and England. They all seemed to be selling clothes and feck all else of interest.

RFD's present appeared to all be local, all with lots to display but unsure if they were able to sell anything like a dummy loader. Can you not ask the event organisers?

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well a little more research and maybe next year?