Firearms laws in France

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by happybonzo, Mar 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We may be moving to France. I'm not sure why but Mrs Bonzo fancies the idea
    Mrs B. speaks the language but sounds like Officer Crabtree; so much so, that French people beg her to speak English as they have a better chance of understanding her. Me? I can order a drink, a meal and spares for a chainsaw.

What I'd like to know is how you go about owning a shotgun and a rifle in France. I know that air rifles at FAC are not allowed so mine would have to stay in the UK. I'm also told that military calibres ie 7.62 are out but that .308 is OK or have I misunderstood that as well?

I hope that some one here who is resident can help clear up what I need to do to purchase a shotgun and rifle in France. The area we are looking at is the Loire Valley
  2. Chasser en France

Google this site, it tells you how to pass the hunting exam which you will need, if, as a resident you want to use firearms in France. The exam itself is part shooting/safety practical and part tick the box theory.

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Do you intend bringing any rifles/shotguns from the UK? (It is illegal to hunt with all air weapons in France, UK power at standard is also illegal).

Do you wish to hunt and/or target shoot? Which types/calibres/disciplines?
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

There are ways around that....
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The guns will be for hunting and pest control and I would be buying in France. I would hope to buy a 12 bore for me and a 20 bore for Mrs B. Also, a .22 rimmy and then something capable of taking Boar as they seem to be plentiful in the area that we're looking at.

It's a pity about air rifles as I resent wasting the price of a cartridge on things that I'm not going to eat ie rats and squirrels.
  6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Check your PM's happybonzo
  7. Done - Many Thanks
  8. Can you enlighten a little please?

I'm not going to retire in septicland.......medical insurance costs and a total lack of any social infrastructure do not make it an attractive proposition. So a sunny part of France is looking like a good bet.

Having met a few Brits with second homes in France and having been told about their personal ownership of shotguns, etc, etc, I was under the impression that you could buy a firearm as a resident of France. Spain, I know you have to take their exam .......... in Spanish!@#
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Until the late 80's (may have been a bit later, before my time anyway) you could get a cheap shotgun from the supermarket, those days are long gone though.

Its not that complicated in France, very good actually, but the best way depends on your wishes and circumstances.
    I've written this out longhand a couple of times on arrse but there are too many variables, drop me a PM with what your intentions/wishes are and I'll point you in the right direction and help you navigate the processes.
  10. Someone I know has just started in on his permis de chasse.

He said that they teach you never to apply the safety catch and never carry the gun broken over your arm. Once the bombs are in it as to be carried safety catch off and pointing skywards in a high-port sort of fashion.

He is just on with the practiacl tests and was confused by some of the techniques they insist on. He lost points for turning inwards towards the instructor with the gun in two pieces during the how to put it the box at the end of the day section.

On another stage he lost a point because he didn't shoot at a clay target winging it low down a hedgerow, he didn't see it but still lost a point.

The other wierd thing was the insistance on not moving a muscle when a target presented itself. Seems that if you even flinch when the launch the clay you fail...can't quite get my head around that.

Oh aye, and if you put your finger straight down the side in the trigger guard...they go has to be behind the trigger guard...he found that hard to remember being ex-military.