Firearms in Germany

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by gorilla, Mar 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After a bit of info. I'm shortly being posted to Germany and being a firearms enthuiast, I'm wondering what weapons are legal over there, ie pistols, self loading rifles etc.

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Unless I misread wiki, it doesn't say what you can have/buy, only the license requirements.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The German firearms laws are a little unusual if you havent been there before. I have German civvy friends and ex service mates who hold jagdschein and are active in the hunting scene. It also is open to anyone who can afford the fees. General sport shooting and historical arms etc is a different kettle of fish but there are supposed to be new EU wide regs regarding arms and civilian ownership coming into force soon. I wouldnt worry though as they would mean a relaxation here and a some severe changes in France. It wont happen.

4. Following the last change to German firearms law in 2003, all the above are legal-- IF you have the licence and that's where the aggro starts. If you are posted to the JHQ area then maybe I can help.

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

ISTR you have to do a medic and safety course (nsps/range stuff) before the license is issued.

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If you want to hunt to need to do a course and pass an exam to get a hunting license, you can then purchase rifles (and pistols) but will of course have to have somewhere to hunt.

For target shooting it depends what disciplines you want to shoot, and you should join a club that specifically offers those disciplines. After a probation period you take a course (16hrs) in general weapons knowledge and German law, followed by a 70 question exam in German and a practical handling test. With the course pass certificate, a log book showing at least 18 visits in a year at a range, shooting club membership and sponsorship of a club official, you can apply to the Ordungsamt for a Waffenbesitzkarte and permission to purchase a weapon for a specific discipline offered by your club.