Firearm certificate

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by jones521, Oct 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. last year i sold my .22 Rimfire - It was my only firearm. I recieved a letter from the local police - after i had notified them of the sale - and they said i had to surrender my licence because i couldn't have a firearm certificate and not own a firearm. I thought this was wrong at the time but it all happened about a week before i was to deploy to the obvious so i just sent it too them.

    My questions are;

    did i actually have to send it back to them? and if so do i now have to reapply for another firearm cert. (I also have a shotgun cert.) or should just they just give me it back, i apply for a variation, get another firearm and crack on? (hopefully the later but i just know it wont be as easy as that)

    anyone had any experience of this? (its with the North Yorkshire police)

  2. Have you spoken to your local FEO yet?
    I would think he was best placed to advise you
  3. Biped

    Biped LE Book Reviewer

    My assumption would be that if you demonstrated an intent to get another .22 rifle, they had no call to remove the licence. In some forces, you get a year to refill or fill a slot, others maybe 6 months. Either way, you should not be obliged to 'rapidly' fill a slot on your ticket - after all, what harm can an empty firearms/calibre slot actually do?

    Speak to the BASC if you are a member and they will advise you. Having said that, as you surrendered your ticket, it's more than likely been cancelled, in which case you will need to reapply.
  4. many thanks
  5. If you did not ask for a variation when you sold your .22" No firearms would be listed in possessed or permited to aquire on your FAC therefore there would be no requirement for an FAC.
    Did you renew your slot for another firearm?
    If not you should have applied for a variation (free within 7 days of sale, this would be for same calbre). with the notification of disposal or sale. This would have maintained your FAC for a later date.
    If you have surrendered your FAC you will need to re apply on return.
    Im in North Yorkshire and the Firearms Licensing Office i have found are very helpfull.
  6. Variations are always free unless they increase the number of firearms (or controlled items eg. silencers) held.
  7. thanks again
  8. ugly

    ugly LE Moderator

    Ex Stab is correct, you should have told them that you intend to ask for a variation but are unable to buy the rifle until you return from ops. The Old Bill cannot then ask for the FAC. It is free, no time limit even if they say there is!
    Now what you need to do is (if you are back) ask for your FAC to be returned but better still work out what you want as a variation, fill in a form and just send it in. They may be daft and ask for the cert but reply and tell them they already have it.