Fire Service College failed to comply with Fire Regs

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Fat_Cav, Mar 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oh dear, the Irony.

Luckily no one was hurt, but it does show how it's easy it is to miss/ignore/wash-over/neglect something when you do it everyday.

I remember one incident where the licence for the Guardroom to store Ammunition had almost expired and was renewed just in time. OK so what? I hear you say. Not much really except the guardroom was for an very large Ammunition depot 8O

Anyone else come across incidences of not doing something you do everyday etc.?

BBC Link

Ps. If any AT/ATO's think the licence incident is normal, then it wasn't portrayed as so at the time.
  2. Owners and managers rarely bother doing fire risk assessments. The fire service don`t bother policing the Act, so why should they?

I started work recently in a local primary school after retiring from the fire service. The Head Teacher has done the assessment previously for the last few years. This year she asked me to do it. She had no idea how to carry out the assessment and had missed several potentially dangerous situations when doing the inspections. Not her fault, she is a teacher, not a fire bobby. No one had checked her work or given a toss about the way it was done. A box ticked was good enough for her bosses.

The end result nationally? More fires, more deaths. But who cares anymore, it`s all gone to rats**t.
  3. One of the buildings in the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg.

Designed as a final-year project by the architecture students. Building and quantity surveyor students did their stuff as a part of their course work. As an university building, it was passed by the University Board. As a public works building, the City council verified and passed the plans. Only once the second floor was complete did someone ralise that there was (is still) no way of getting into the second floor from inside the building. There is now a dinky outside staircase to the second floor that looks more like a fire escape.
  4. Quote
    ' A box ticked was good enough for her bosses.'

Liability is all they want need.
  5. We had a 'consultant' hired by my last compnay to put in a couple of dock levellers in a corner of a particularly large warehouse. They did all the measurements inside and had to dig out tons of soil to allow the vehicles to descend onto the docks. Everything was fine until someone realised that the yard it was attached to was too small for 40ft trailers to turn around, so they would have to do a reversing manouvere for 500m and around 3 corners to back onto the docks.

Beforehand everone patted themselves on the back on a good job well done until it was finally pointed out by a outside driver before it went live as to it's deficiences.

Consultant my arse. :x
  6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

1. Here was another job well done - rebuild of Fareham Magistrates' Court. With entrance too small for prison vans.

2. Long ago at Portland naval helicopter station. Phone rings up the hill at HMS Osprey. "Fire Officer here. Fire at the Fire Station!" "Pull the other one." Phone slammed down. But it was real, the Fire Officer was burning pallets and his own personal fire had got out of hand.
  7. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I believe we have our good friends in the EU to thank for this. A change in legislation meant that the Fire Service was no longer responsible for doing the assessments and following up on matters raised, and that it was OK for 'knowledgeable members of staff' in the organisation to do them.

Of course we can be sure that all members of staff doing the assessments had full training .....

'You and Yours' on Radio 4 did a programme about it recently. The fire in the flats in London which did kill people was their start point. The council landlord's excuses as to why the assessments either weren't done or were done by the untrained, were amazing.