Fire Power

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Evilgoblin, Feb 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw this on a day out and thought the turret would be worth mounting on a Jackal. Originally AA but used to great effect in the direct fire role in support of infantry. Serious firepower 4 x 50 cal, electric powered turret, has a deadman's switch that stops you brassing up the drivers compartment. Design must still be on file somewhere, should be easy to reproduce with modern tools etc. Imagine if it had 4 x GMG! Good idea or over-kill?

Attached Files:

2. Use your ammunition 4x faster? We already have some vehicles using twin mounted machine guns, I think that would be a replen too far.

3. following that argument we'd still be using muskets...

4. Ok then, lets just drop a JDAM onto every position. If one GPMG/.50/GMG firing onto a position isn't going to supress a target neither will 4. We aren't trying to get maximum lead into the air in order to shoot down aircraft.

5. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I thought they used quad mounts to introduce some dispersion to compensate for trying to hot fast moving targets with an 'iron sight'

If you want more firepower, I don't know why we haven't gone for one of the many lightweight 20mm canons you can get

I am sure if there was a an actual need though, someone would have asked for one and got it by UOR from that nice man at the Treasury :D

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I just want one, make sorting out the Pikeys great fun if a tad expensive!

7. finally a use for a 5.56mm mini gun :evil:

8. 1 ATF tried a 'liberated' 7.62mm minigun fitted to an APC in SVN, but rejected it as overkill; the equivalent of 10xM60 on one target. Plus most of the cargo bay occupied by ammo stowage and therefore useless for any other purpose.

9. Saw one on tv being used in Falluja. Looked like it would demolish buildings!

10. From what I gather, the Yanks used Fallujah as field testing for anything they fancied. It sounded hellish in House to House, entire streets IED'd, all manner of vileness!

11. i remember seeing on tv a programme about so guy in america that had full auto weapons and he had a ground mounted version of that with a 7.62 mini gun fitted to one side, looked amazing. on a side note why don't we convert a couple of c130s into ac130s. That would give some amount of firepower on station for a long time.

12. because we don't have any spare c130s or cash for a plsne that csan only work at night

13. Cracking book it was too. Whole house ied anyone?

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Will this do?