Fire Pit - Yes or No?

Concrete has tiny air pockets trapped inside, add heat and simple physics will tell you the results. Bits of hot concrete flying through the air at high speed. If your instant on a fire pit buy one. DO NOT use any galvanized metal if you make your own as it can give off some rather nasty gasses when heated.

If done well they look great a shit one and you look like a nomadic caravan dweller.
Please, please, please tell me you don’t have a fire pit.

Nothing says chav more than a fire pit.

If you want to go full pikey use an oil drum.
Nothing says chav more than a fire pit.

If you want to go full pikey use an oil drum.
Add a ‘man cave’ or a ‘home bar’ and you will utterly nail it as a pikey.

I find myself incredulous that there is apparently a social hierarchy for this kind of thing in the UK. We have two burn pits and a drum. If that makes us pikeys, so be it, nothing could be farther than the truth. It’s just a lot more convenient to burn stuff in situ than hoik it to the dump. Where they’d probably say “take that shit back home and burn it” :)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Got this for Christmas some years back. It also came with a grill and an attachment for cooking pizzas on.

I believe it’s marketed as the “Hacienda fire pit.”

Pretty good for sitting round and it’s portable so you can take it camping. It’s got a mesh lid so sparks don’t fly out of it.

Thinking about building something more permanent when I can be arsed. Another one of the thousands of jobs I want to do to this house / garden.
DB115992-8C0D-49DA-837A-61302C6CD8E8.jpeg

Back in 1992(?) I was invited to a Dutch radar base, (Nieue Milligan(sp)?) for a BBQ. Generous and drunken weekend, but the thing of note for me was their BBQ. Imagine, if you will, at perfect cooking height a zig-zag design, two brick wide, BBQ with the cooking space such that you were next to and opposite other guests cooking. Raw food under cover and you selected and cooked your own food thus enabling the hosts to mingle and avoid accusations of over cooking the steak/food poisoning etc.

(Basically a brick wall (any shaped) with a channel in the top for hot coals, covered in a grate... Cheap, easy to build, maintain and clean.)
The Dutch do this thing very well. Spent many a drunken night in the Dutch National Support Element bar at the back end of DJ Bks / RAF Trogir in Split.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I find myself incredulous that there is apparently a social hierarchy for this kind of thing in the UK. We have two burn pits and a drum. If that makes us pikeys, so be it, nothing could be farther than the truth. It’s just a lot more convenient to burn stuff in situ than hoik it to the dump. Where they’d probably say “take that shit back home and burn it” :)
Yep. Every farm needs a decent burn pit...

0A359D47-578E-41C8-83FB-A07DCF91803F.jpeg

Winnet

Old-Salt
Called a bush TV in these parts. Park around the fire with a beer or whizzo and talk shit.

You could get a grill with a couple of supports on the corners, or round the edges depending on shape. What also works well, especially for breakfasts, is an old plough share with three legs welded to it and a T-handle on a longer shaft on the concave side in the centre to move it around. Similar to the pic, but this one shown is a shit design and will cook your hands trying to position it, hence the T-handle.

Season well and nothing will stick to it. The great thing is that the juices and fat from steaks, chops and sausages can be used as a base for gravy, just adding chopped onion and chopped tomato. Bit of curry powder, Worcestershire sauce and a splash of sherry and you have ambrosia. Sop up what's left with fresh rolls. Also great for naan/pita bread fresh off the braai.

That really looks and sounds something special. Fair play.

Standard bit of kit in Canada, watching wood burn is one of our favoured pastimes.
I do it nearly every day in the summer months since l moved to the country, nothing fancy, just an old truck rim and a seemingly endless supply of dead ash trees. This year has been slow though as we’re in drought conditions and a fire ban in effect.

I made one of these from a gas bottle. It now has slatted pan holders on each side and long legs so we don't have to bend down.

The chimney is made from old flag poles, so I can adjust the height to avoid smoking the neighbours. The hot water tank clips to the chimney. The top plate has seen 360 Celsius.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

I did started this one a long time ago but never finished it, the Piggy B Q.

Currently at the bottom of the to do list, scheduled in for 2030.

IMG_20141018_145347_zpsgisls1xr.jpg

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Simples....

1. Build fire pit.
  2. Inform neighbours that you head up a witchcraft cult and the pit is for human sacrifice.
  3. Await your 15 minutes of fame in national media.
Wordsmith :twisted:

Ah but you have a back garden the size of the lake district. It will come as no surprise to you whatsover that - some people in say...WIgan for example...in a grotty rental of some sorts - will have seen something on reality TV that features either a hot tub, fire pit...or both...and thought "yeah...we can do that...classy!"...in a back yard the size of a Ford Mondeo.

Done 'properly' I suppose all is okay but... some people do it to emulate what they see celebrities doing and its all rather... blowing your money on a fake Rolex to wear with your yellow piss stained Y-fronts.

Latest Threads