Fire Pit - Yes or No?

We have a concrete slab in the garden. It needs to be used or removed. It used to have a greenhouse on it and its about 8 feet by 12. I was thinking it could be a good base for a fire pit. Brick built with seating around etc.
If you have a fire pit do you use it? More trouble that it's worth? Will it piss off the neibourghs?
This sort of thing perhaps?

View attachment 488328View attachment 488329
Morning @vvaannmmaann,
My bold. Gets my vote and deserves a thread in itself.
Fire pit excellent idea, makes a change from 'a new patio'.

Wija

LE
Both cost about £8k, and somewhat pretentious, and yes, it will piss off the neighbours. If in the UK, think about the weather, and very soon burning coal and timber will be verboten. Use the vacant slab for a green house, and grow your own tomatoes, peas, etc, much more healthier than inhaling smoke.
So your neighbours have one and you don't have £8k to build a gold plated fire pit with surround.
You could do it for less than a grand. And who gives a shiny shite about the neighbours? Do they pay your council tax?
Get it done..

lecky

War Hero
Use cast Iron for your Fire Pit.
Steel rusts from the first day you use it, despite the paints and finishes.

Awol

LE
I’ve got an ex-wife you can either burn above or bury beneath.

In fact it might be something that other arrsers might want to use.

Called a bush TV in these parts. Park around the fire with a beer or whizzo and talk shit.

You could get a grill with a couple of supports on the corners, or round the edges depending on shape. What also works well, especially for breakfasts, is an old plough share with three legs welded to it and a T-handle on a longer shaft on the concave side in the centre to move it around. Similar to the pic, but this one shown is a shit design and will cook your hands trying to position it, hence the T-handle.

Season well and nothing will stick to it. The great thing is that the juices and fat from steaks, chops and sausages can be used as a base for gravy, just adding chopped onion and chopped tomato. Bit of curry powder, Worcestershire sauce and a splash of sherry and you have ambrosia. Sop up what's left with fresh rolls. Also great for naan/pita bread fresh off the braai.

Zulu_w

Old-Salt
Called a bush TV in these parts. Park around the fire with a beer or whizzo and talk shit.
Like this one. Hand crafted in downtown Muscat in accordance with my drawing.

Had about a dozen done so far as people love them.
Plow disk.jpg

Last edited:

Zulu_w

Old-Salt
Like this one as well. Good to sit around and pretty portable. Grills rather than frys like the plow disk.

Tripod.jpg

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Concrete has tiny air pockets trapped inside, add heat and simple physics will tell you the results. Bits of hot concrete flying through the air at high speed. If your instant on a fire pit buy one. DO NOT use any galvanized metal if you make your own as it can give off some rather nasty gasses when heated.

If done well they look great a shit one and you look like a nomadic caravan dweller.

Latest Threads