Fire fighting for beginers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by slackjack, Nov 13, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Please ask us what you think you need to know .
    Most of it comes as second nature to us so if you can specify the areas you want advice in we`ll try to help .
  2. It might just be easier, if you and your oppos could file past and leave their own personal tips slackie...
  3. I don`t know how many visit here and I don`t know how your current skill levels . But we`ll do our best .
  4. I would say a fair few, especially if you could post a link on the fire site?

Assume skill levels to be basic. In other words, we're not quite recruits, and we know what different coloured extinguishers mean.... Apart from that, we're willing to learn
  5. One very big thing in your favour wil be your discipline and team work , stick together ,work in pairs , and unless someone tells you a reason not too , do things the easiest way , not necessarily by the book .
    Experience is a big thing , so debrief after jobs . If things went  wrong , and they often do , find out why ( don`t blame people but learn from it ) Same thing if they go right . Pass on your experiences to other crews .
    I`m sure you would be doing this anyway .

Above all Crew safety is paramount , your no good to anyone if you get injured .
  6. Hello boys and girls
    Looks like we will be going on strike after all.     I hope that any of you called on to cover the strike will take care. Don't go running around trying to do every thing at once, even when the public are screaming at you to do something.  Think about what you do, weigh the risk against the benefit.  If you enter a house, flat, etc, stay low, it is cooler and less smokey on the floor.  Watch out for collapsing buildings, floors, etc.  Be careful of plastic bins alight.  I kid you not, put water on melted plastic and it will flare up and burn you.  If you attend RTA's, try not to get run over, you might laugh, but you would be surprised.  If you come across a cylinder in a fire, run away using large steps.  Those things are like bombs and will kill you and anyone else nearby.  Don't go getting hurt trying to put a car out.  They may look spectacular, but rarely go tits up.  Just leave them to burn.  The hose reels you will be using dont have enough pressure to put out a car fire, so your better off staying out of the way.  Just watch out for the little jacks that hold the hatchbacks up, they explode and fire out the metal pins like bullets.  Don't touch anything under the bonnet, there are plastics under there that when melted, eat away at human flesh and cannot be stopped except for amputation.  I kid you not.  Above all else, just THINK, THINK and THINK.    Bravery alone does not make a good Fireman, common sense does.  If you do turn out to a persons reported fire, all the rules and procedures go out the window.  You must try to get the people out no matter what.  If you do find that people have died when you get there, try not to feel too bad.    
  7. What's all this balls I hear about us not having foam?

Yes, we do...I saw it today with my own eyes. ;D
  8. Ma, sorry, moved your post to the Naafi Bar thread. Not because there's a problem with it, but only because I'm trying to keep this thread serious, because there is some really good advice and tips coming across.

The relevance is not just to Fresco personnel, but service families as well and the public at large.

This is the only thread that I would ask everyone to keep serious , ok?

best regards

9. You don`t need to worry about foam . 30 yrs and I`ve only used it half a dozen times , usually on a tar boiler .

Remember water and electrics don`t mix .after you`ve put the fire out and you go inside to check things out , turn the electric off at the mains . I`ve lost count of the number of times i`ve had a  shock.
  10. dmo

dmo Swinger

Above all TAKE CARE every firefighter knows the position that you have been put in. As a well known phrase says ' stay calm keep your head, when everyone else around you is losing theirs'. Stick together and look out for each other as i'm sure you will, don't take unecessary chances in the name of heroics.

It takes more bravery to sometimes stand back than to run headlong into a situation regardless of risk. Your families are worried enough about you all, believe it or not we do care as well, just as we do when things are going tits up in lands foreign and you are up against it.

If you do need advice talk to us let us know come and see us , its not as daft as it sounds.

Be safe....... :)
  11. dmo

dmo Swinger

In scrotey areas watch out for toerags putting LPG cylinders in cars as booby traps, it does happen, also when attending tower blocks keep an eye on 'shit for brains', chucking stuff out of high floor windows and balconies...great laugh...unless you are at the bottom and can't catch a chair or an old portable tv.  Always keep a look out it sound almost unbelievable but it does and will happen.  Make sure you always wear head gear in case 'shit for brains' decides to throw any missiles at you such as stones , bottles...cos it's fun......right...?????
    Do watch out for needles put into a mattress in buildings, as druggies use this method to store them and also for a trap, watch where you tread and put your hands....!!!  It all sounds doom and gloom but try to remember some of these things as you all are 'new on the block'...try not to get caught out..... :)
  12. That's why you're worth 30k! ;)

I won't go into how much we're worth! ;) ;) ;D

Out of interest, and for comparison, anyone know how much a waste disposal operative (aka binman) earns? ???
  13. I,ve just come across this site, pretty good, especially keeping this thread serious, as a professional fire fighter, I realise the concerns that most of you will have.
    Watch out for needles in hydrant pits as well as mattresses, never put your hands into them, if they are full of crap use a scoop not your hands, unless you want to spend the rest of your life wondering what you may have caught.
    I can only reiterate what other people have posted,keep calm,  dont rush in, and think.
    ps cars dont explode like they do on t.v.
  14. Looks like Prescott will give you our trucks for next week . Just be aware that they aren`t a magic wand . You`ll get there a little bit quicker but thats about it !
    The Hp hosereels will help you on cars,bins and rubbish but wont help on much else if you`re not going inside .

If you gave me one of your tanks it wouldn`t make me Rommel would it ?

I`m also a bit concerned that the press will expect too much of you when you have the modern appliances .
    At least at the moment you can blame quite a bit on poor equipment , it just worries me what the press will do when you can`t use that one . I have noticed 1 or 2 snide remarks from some reporters over any problems you`ve had ,it stinks !

If you do get them ,please tell the drivers to take it very steady to start with . Driving a 15 ton lorry through busy city streets at high speed is an art , and it takes quite some time to learn it , some drivers never do !

Tonights tip
                        Never turn your engine off at a job , saves the embarassment of not being able to start it again (I never turn mine off even though modern vehicles always start , old habits )

At skip or bin fires you don`t have to use a branch in the hose . Use an open end , at low pressure , it saves blasting crap everywhere , you just fill the thing up !

Is anyone actually enjoying firefighting ? Or is it just a pain in the arse ? Probably a bit too early to tell just yet !

Keep safe and look out for each other !
  15. Oh by the way eagle, we recently saw an advert for the aforementioned waste operative, it was for a driver, (perhaps a cushier job as they get to sit in a cab!!) that rate I want 35k to put my life on the line whenever I go to work!