Fire fighter dies in Manchester Fire

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RAF889, Jul 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry to hear the news, RIP brother firefighter.

2. All those buildings along Oldham Street need to be either modernised or replaced.Most of the upper floors are unused or even derelict.It is a shame what has happened to what used to be an excellent shopping street in the 30s/40s/50s.
    Almost every building along the street are death traps.

RIP Stephen Hunt,

Attached Files:

• old.jpg
      old.jpg
      File size:
      45.6 KB
      Views:
  3. Sorry to hear of you and your family's loss.

My condolences at this difficult time, are you and Sig Smith related then?

4. Only related by profession.
    On my first Watch everyone was an ex military something or other. It used to be a great job to help re-adjust from service life to civvy life and still have an immense adrenalin rush. I hope it was not his drills that let him down and prayers to his un-named BA team mate who I believe is still in hospital.

5. Breaking news, two teenage girls arrested in connection with the fire

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

6. Two teenage girls have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter of the fireman Stephen Hunt.

7. Another life wasted due to two wastes of life. Am sure there will be an excuse that gets them off. Cnuts the pair of them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks Boris & Tuffy, good to see Plod are on the job.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I walked past this just as it was breaking out. We'd parked in the NCP just next to Oldham Street. Manchester was pretty lively yesterday and I just assumed the smoke was from a street BBQ or something. As we went past the shop you could see it was quite serious, a bloke emerged from the building carrying a fire extinguisher.

It took about 15 mins for the first fire engine to arrive by which time the smoke was thick black and coming out of every window in the building. Plod were ******* useless, despite seeing two on horse back in the next street and a police van parked further down the road towards Piccadilly, they did nothing absolutely nothing to control the crowds who were starting to gather. The two on horses were actually moving away from the scene.

Anyway we fucked off, had lunch and went tranny spotting down Canal Street. By the time we got back to our car at 7ish, the fire was in full swing. 15 or 20 fire engines and loads of smoke covered fire fighters looking absolutely fucked. At this point you could see it was really quite serious and that the fire was winning.

Anyway my boy was pretty impressed by the fire engines. Sad to hear someone carked it. I'm not surprised to be honest, it looked ******* horrendous.

Attached Files:

10. Sad news. Rest in Peace.

11. R.I.P and condolences to the blokes family and colleagues.

I'd be interested to know the detail of what went wrong, collapse, explosion, flashover or other.

12. I read that he was caught in a sudden increase in temperature, so it sounds like a flashover. Poor bloke. May he rest in peace. Years ago, your ears were your temperature gauge, but Firefighters are covered completely and it's easy to get into trouble without realising it.

13. looking at the pics,is there a reason that teams were commited was it persons reported still?

14. Don't know and can only assume so. Defensive firefighting wouldn't normally be compatible with committing crews - unless you thought you were on top of it and we're in transitional mode to knock it down. It's just so gutting for his families, the ones at home and at work.