Finucanes engage leading barristers in tribunal battle

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KevinB, Feb 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Finucanes engage leading barristers in tribunal battle

12/02/2008 - 07:44:09

The family of murdered Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane have engaged two leading British human rights lawyers in their battle for a full public inquiry into his killing.

Michael Mansfield and Richard Harvey are now seeking to meet British Prime Minister Gordon Brown and Northern Secretary Shaun Woodward to press for a fully independent inquiry.

Mr Mansfield, who represented the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six, says the extent of collusion in the Finucane murder was deeply shocking.

Mr Finucane was shot dead in front of his family exactly 19 years ago today.

The shooting was carried out by a UDA double agent who was also a paid police informer.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mheyidojauid/

2. The usual suspects. Wonder why Gareth Pierce isn't there to claim that her client isn't as pure as the driven snow, as they all are?

3. They don't give up do they? I can't see the Finucane's getting very far with this, though the lawyers will probably be hoping for another Bloody Sunday style gravy train to line their pockets. Gareth Pierce has moved on; our Islamist pals are her bag now. Mind you, she might get nostalgic for this one.....

4. In fairness to the Finucane's, I would want this looked into also were it my relative or mate this happened to. If we are to have the rule of law, it must apply to all, even those we despise.

5. Particularly if Emma Thompson plays her in any forth coming film... :roll:

6. Whilst m'learned friends are at itmaybe they could conduct an enquiry into the Finucanes - or would that be asking too much?

7. Not the time nor the place for it. After all, was Finucane was assassinated. Like him or no, we cannot have a society where (tempting as it may be) solicitors are murdered for taking on unpopular cases. Is the whole concept of our society - a society based on law.

I believe it was Sir Thomas More did say: This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down,... do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then?

8. Attempting to give a fcuk...nope, sorry. Can't bring myself to care about the terrorist-loving b@stard or his family. Pity the UDA hitman did'nt slot the whole fcuking lot of them.

How much money have we wasted on Bloody Sunday? £180, 000, 000?

We should'nt pay one penny more. :roll:

9. " The law is a ass - a idiot. If that's the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is that his eye may be opened by experience - by experience "

10. The law may be an ass and Finucane may have been a terrorist sympathiser. Makes no difference. Without the rule of law, would be anarchy. Without the rule of law, civilised societies could not exist - we would be no better than the barbarians we do criticise. So, whatever personal feelings I have about Finucane, an inquiry is justified. He was a solicitor doing his job.

11. If you fly with crows then the farmer may shoot you !

12. I believe in the Law. On all sides. When I see an inquiry into the Warrenpoint Murder at Narrow Water I will be happy. It's a 2 way street.

13. Still not an excuse for him to be so brutally murdered. And not an excuse for there to be no inquiry.

Where law ends, there tyranny begins, as Pitt did say.

14. "Civilised society"?! What fcuking planet are you living on? :roll:

Take a look around, son. The barberians have won. This country is a sh1t-hole, where the scum rule, the police are impotent and good people have given up all hope.

Anarchy? It's all ready here. Don't take my word for it. Just take a walk in any city centre on a Saturday night.

And a major cause of this sorry state of affairs is the LAW you prize so highly, because it has been twisted and perverted by lawyers like Finucane until it protects the criminals more than the victims.

Finucane was scum. So was the UDA hitman. ALL terrorists, and those who sympathise with and support them, deserve to die. I don't play favourites.

Strong message follows. :evil:

15. I don't disagree with some of what you have said regarding not only the lack of respect for the law but also for Brit culture and values, but I do not blame it on men such as Finucane. Finucane, misguided though he was, did what he thought right - and to murder the man was outside the pale of the law. I blame this breakdown instead upon the monied elite who are but tools of multinationals and who seek to enslave all working people. You are correct, I do prize the law, but these people believe they are above it, and we have allowed it - we have given them all hell's powers.

BTW, am doubting I could be 'son', as I am very near fifty. :wink: