• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Finucane Murder

A dark day of embarrassment for the RUC and the Military Intelligence services.

Collusion in murder. One reason why we beat the IRA is because we were seen to hold the moral highground. The utter failure of the British to do this in this instance is a matter of shame and embarrassment.

I expect the odd bleat about giving as good as we get, but those people would be wrong.

BBC News - Pat Finucane murder: 'No overarching state conspiracy' says PM

PS. Apologies if there's already a thread.

What is the report saying...that prod paramilitaries planned to kill a prominent Republican....and may have picked up some information from touts working for the SF..hardly earth-shattering stuff in the context of the times.

It funny why these old wounds are opened up eh, at least no children were targeted......any one want to re-open Warrington when those brave IRA bombers targeted kids.......I am sure paddy outrage will be bouncing about the the streets of Belfast!

A dark day of embarrassment for the RUC and the Military Intelligence services.

Collusion in murder. One reason why we beat the IRA is because we were seen to hold the moral highground. The utter failure of the British to do this in this instance is a matter of shame and embarrassment.

I expect the odd bleat about giving as good as we get, but those people would be wrong.

BBC News - Pat Finucane murder: 'No overarching state conspiracy' says PM

PS. Apologies if there's already a thread.
Agreed, it is a shameful episode.
However, I sometimes wish there was as much time, effort and finance expended on investigating the likes of McGuinness and Adams and their involvement in the troubles. Instead, it seems to be pretty one-sided to me and our Governments seem to spend a significant amount of time and effort making apologies and hand wringing for the sake of the Republicans.

In context of the time, I think this particular lawyer was a legitimate target.

Preventing murderous Provs from facing justice is also 'morally' wrong to the victims.

I wish this Government would stop being apologist. Cameron the little worm is weak as piss

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Give your head a good wobble. Think through what you are suggesting the government can accuse people of crimes because of this anyone who defends them or supports them is fair game.
I would happily support the death penalty for those convicted of terrorism but shooting to death by our own terrorists who we provide with int of lawyers in front of their kids makes us no better than Syria or Iraq

Rather galling to see Finucane, from a well-known Provo family, elevated to the status of secular martyr and crusading human rights lawyer when the unjust Diplock system of trial was imposed entirely due to widespread and serious intimidation and murder of juries, witnesses, etc. PIRA went out of its way to target judges, particularly Catholic ones, in an effort to undermine the role of the judiciary, eg. Maurice Gibson (with rumoured help from the Garda).

Don't forget that each PIRA volunteer was instructed to only talk to solicitors from Madden & Finucane and no others. They weren't a bunch of idealistic crusaders from some TV movie - they were the Provo's in-house go-to representation.

Latest Threads