Finland

Anyone been there? I've never been but it's on my 'to do' list.
Any advice / tips, how much do things cost? Cheers.

@finnisharrse

Finland? I know a song about that.

Pony trekking or camping or just watching T.V.?

They call their country Suomi and say 'perkele' a lot; this is a word that should be used repeatedly.

I think that about covers it.

Its so near to Russia
so far away from Japan
Quite a long way from Cairo
lots of miles from Vietnam

Wait till it's snowing. You'll feel a bit daft jumping out the sauna and running naked round a forest when it's 20deg with 24h bright sunlit midge clouds.

Vodka helps. That and suicide.

Last edited:
They are dark, like dark humor, drink like it's going out of fashion (super expensive - so lots of home made moonshine around), suicidal bunch, crazy women who get into bed only if stupid drunk, like death metal...etc.etc. It's a nice country though. And they love their sisu - no wonder the Russians are scared of them.

And apparently there are not really good at small talk.
How the Finnish survive without small talk

#sisu

Finnish is an Ugric language, with a different alphabet. One of the peculiarities of Ugric is that it doesn't use the letter 'b', so in an earlier time in a different place, there could have been a chart-topping teenybopper pop song by the Ay City Rollers called 'Y Y Ay, Ay Y Y'.

Last edited:
Finnish is an Ugric language, with a different alphabet. One of the peculiarities of Ugric is that it doesn't't use the letter 'b', so in an earlier time in a different place, there could have been a chart-topping teenybopper pop song by the Ay City Rollers called 'Y Y Ay, Ay Y Y'.

Read this a few months back, I would love a few days on this but the constant creaking and groaning of the hull would put the willies up you big time.

Icebreaker: A Voyage Far North review – Horatio Clare signs on for a journey of discovery

A seemingly bleak 10-day mission in the Bay of Bothnia is the source of surprisingly vivid insights into the Finns’ national character

Yes I know those at the back are sniggering at put the willies up, detention for the lot of you.

Spent a couple of months in Oulu around 98.

Finns are a dour bunch until they get drunk. You can literally walk into a packed bar and it’s completely silent until they collectively drink enough to become social.

Never buy anyone a drink; it’s expensive and the norm is to just buy your own even if your in a group.

Taxis are subsidized on Friday and Saturday nights; they worked out it was cheaper than drunk people trying to walk home and freezing to death.

Saunas are fun after the bar and the norm is to be naked.

The women are beautiful.

And They don’t like the Russians.

Anyone been there? I've never been but it's on my 'to do' list.
Any advice / tips, how much do things cost? Cheers.

@finnisharrse
not at work till next week, we have a lad married to a finn who spends weeks out there so any questions let me know and will ask, getting there by land and sea is a holiday itself, cross channel up to Denmark, Sweden then ferry across

Flew Helsinki last August , family holiday , Norwegian Air , around £135 ea return , loved the place , hired a car and travelled around , airbnb , expensive? not that different to the home counties , eat out mid day for < 10.00 euro or around 40.00 euros in the evening ! , alcohol is expensive but dont drink much anyway so not a problem. Finns all speak English and are very friendly , would go again.

Flew Helsinki last August , family holiday , Norwegian Air , around £135 ea return , loved the place , hired a car and travelled around , airbnb , expensive? not that different to the home counties , eat out mid day for < 10.00 euro or around 40.00 euros in the evening ! , alcohol is expensive but dont drink much anyway so not a problem. Finns all speak English and are very friendly , would go again.
Ha. I was there in Aug last year as well in Helsinki. Flew BA/ Finn Air for about £160 iirc return. Helsniki was a good time. It's better if you go with friends or know some locals.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Been there a few times with work. As with most Baltic countries I think it's ace. In Helsinki There's a great hotel converted from an old prison. Lots of decent bars, friendly locals, lots of things to go visit.

Definitely worth a visit