Finland considering giving every citizen €800 a month

Whether or not they work. Something called a National Basic Income. Seen something like this before on a cycling forum - posters thought it was a good idea, but then let's just say some of them would...

Very rare - there's a few places dotted around that operate these schemes and I understand the US state of Alaska used to have one too. Apparently they've been successful which does seem to defy logic...It does seem nuts...

Genuine question - anybody think this is a good idea - could something like this work or would it just be another way of running out of money? Or maybe the rarity answers my own question? Anyone heard of this/have experience in places with these schemes? 69% of Finns are in favour...

Finland is considering giving every citizen €800 a month

The moon-howler in charge of the Greens proposed something similar and got torn to pieces in an interview because she had no idea how much it would cost.

Hmm. I suppose ( not a financial expert) if they are spending back into the economy then maybe it's a good thing?

IIRC every citizen of Norway is a millionaire due to the governments of Norway saving the North Sea oil revenue and not spending it? Unlike the UK?
Wonder if they could do the same thing and how would that benefit their economy?

Do some of the gulf states do the same thing? Need to google it. Not sure it's made any benefit to their economy though?

Edit: although every citizen of Norway is a millionaire, they don't have access to the money?

Last edited:
Curious as to how it works as they say it does.
Mind you, if it does work, then I'm for it being looked at seriously ( as indeed I am anything that will get peope off bums and into jobs ) Whether we might be able to afford it is another matter though.

The moon-howler in charge of the Greens proposed something similar and got torn to pieces in an interview because she had no idea how much it would cost.
For Finland, £46.7 billion. Could be compared with the cost of their current welfare system.

?

Do some of the gulf states do the same thing? Need to google it. Not sure it's made any benefit to their economy though?

?
Nah! they just give most of the money to the ruling Royal families. It certainly helps those families to grow though.

Nah! they just give most of the money to the ruling Royal families. It certainly helps those families to grow though.
Well, there is no income tax (or social security payments) in the Gulf states for nationals so the ordinary guy does benefit rather a lot.

Well, there is no income tax (or social security payments) in the Gulf states for nationals so the ordinary guy does benefit rather a lot.
Which they can do because of their oil right? Not an option for the majority of countries (not stating the obvious or anything)

Reading into it a bit more closely it appears to be replacing most benefits. (Which could be cheaper for the state in normal welfare payments. To stop those earning quite a bit from cashing in, I suppose it would be easy to drop the difference tax thresholds so the "free" money is immediate recouped.
What I assume would happen in this country if it was to ever happen is the more left wing parties would give people a free wage AND benefits.

I think I read about a similar suggestion from the USA where they wanted a VAT type tax and they worked out what an average person would spend and would give everyone an rebate of that amount, meaning those who spent less saved cash (The rebate being more than the tax) and those who spent more (The theory being they were richer) paid more in taxes.

With regards to the Gulf States, I can speak for the UAE after being here for a while.

The Emirati nationals get a bunch of benefits that would stagger any normal person. Mainly because they can but it's been noted since the 'Arab Spring' reared it's inconvenient head, the lavishings have been stepped somewhat and it's a thinly disguised incentive to ensure the absolute monarchy system stays as is.

Which they can do because of their oil right? Not an option for the majority of countries (not stating the obvious or anything)
I was replying to the posts asking if the Gulf states do anything similar because of their oll revenue. So, yes, you are stating the obvious.

The Emirati nationals get a bunch of benefits that would stagger any normal person. Mainly because they can but it's been noted since the 'Arab Spring' reared it's inconvenient head, the lavishings have been stepped somewhat and it's a thinly disguised incentive to ensure the absolute monarchy system stays as is.
Largely true of Kuwait too...

B

bumgrapes

Curious as to how it works as they say it does.
Mind you, if it does work, then I'm for it being looked at seriously ( as indeed I am anything that will get peope off bums and into jobs ) Whether we might be able to afford it is another matter though.
The money we ploughed into keeping toxic banks afloat could have funded this perhaps?

Our current government is ideologically committed to cutting spending and don't believe in investing in the country to stimulate the economy. Their policies lead to the rich getting richer and many of the poor getting poorer. The idea Gidder's and CMD would consider distributing wealth among the unwashed, who would of course spend the money within the economy is unfortunately laughable

Whether or not they work. Something called a National Basic Income. Seen something like this before on a cycling forum - posters thought it was a good idea, but then let's just say some of them would...

Very rare - there's a few places dotted around that operate these schemes and I understand the US state of Alaska used to have one too. Apparently they've been successful which does seem to defy logic...It does seem nuts...

Genuine question - anybody think this is a good idea - could something like this work or would it just be another way of running out of money? Or maybe the rarity answers my own question? Anyone heard of this/have experience in places with these schemes? 69% of Finns are in favour...

Finland is considering giving every citizen €800 a month
€180 a week dole in Ireland so pretty close to that here already.

Remarkably generous for the new "sick man of Europe". With the demise of Nokia, traditional industries moving abroad and ABBA absolutely refusing to relocate, the Finnish economy is now contracting faster than the Greek economy and it's in the worst state of any economy in the Eurozone.

Finland emerges as the 'new sick man of Europe' as euro's worst performing economy
I think you'll find ABBA were (are?) Swedish. Or is this a case of "they all look the same to me"?
(Don't do Lenny Henry bits for the BBC do you?_)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Travel 32
supermatelot Travel 15
RCT(V) Current Affairs, News and Analysis 40