Finest military paintings.

More like Leicester... present day.

The hose flashes or garter knots (the red things that hold up their hose) of the Gordons were belled in commemoration to represent the stirrups of the Greys which they held onto as they went forward into action. Not fiction.....
I thought it was too good not to be true. Thanks for the confirmation.

I thought it was too good not to be true. Thanks for the confirmation.
It is exaggerated to a degree though. The Greys could not have gone in at full gallop, the Gordons would have to have had the ability to run like Usain Bolt, or get dragged to death.....

I have a copy on my living room wall, spot the yellow handbag,....... under the front drivers wheel, soft top rover,,......nice touch!
All I noticed was the general , I am in charge and you have to point your antenna thinhgies ovrer that way. I have no idea what Iam talking about but my rank gives me the powér to fucck you about and if the comms do not work well it is your fault. R.Sigsatitsbest.

I have a copy on my living room wall, spot the yellow handbag,....... under the front drivers wheel, soft top rover,,......nice touch!
You brought beer along on exercise by the CASE? :eek: Christ on a bike it's a wonder anything got done in the BAOR area of responsibility. :giggle::nod:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Wounded Piper Findlater VC playing as the Gordons take the heights of Dargai. View attachment 339586
Does the painting have any indiocation of what tune Findlater was playing? ;) One of the Dand Mcneil books by George Macdonald Fraser has this as a heated discussion in the Sgts Mess with some saying that it was Cock o the North, the regimental tune others that it was Haughs o Cromdale. Apparently it had been decided after trhe battle by the CO calling for the RSM and asking him what was played and he said Cock o the North so that is what stood. BTW the RSM was over half a mile away during the battle so couldnt have heard - not even the CO would argue with his RSM! :p

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You brought beer along on exercise by the CASE? :eek: Christ on a bike it's a wonder anything got done in the BAOR area of responsibility. :giggle::nod:
One brigade FTX in Germany in late 1960s the Bn was lined up in the field prior to the exercise to be inspected by the Brigadier. We were due out for three weeks. Every APC in A Coy was stacked with cases of snobbies. A Coy was the only Company so equipped! :) After inspecting the Coy the Brig pointed out that we had rather a lot of beer on board but our Company 2IC then Capt CJW Browne (later Colonel RIP) explained that we were packed for war and the beer was taking the place of ammunition - we got to take our beer. It is worth noting that, during the exercise A Coy were the only company not to have anyone feck up over alcohol. Other companies were sneaking off the trg area to get beer etc and getting caught, pissed by drinking too much too quickly etc.

We had a good exercise! :cool:

MER_VGM_3291A.jpg
MER_VGM_3293.jpg
MER_VGM_3294.jpg

MER_VGM_3291.jpg

Tom Titherington (1934 - 2003)
Did his time as a National Serviceman; taught Art at a Merseyside university college as his day job; all round good egg.

Direct Hit
The Battle of the Atlantic
The Western Desert
The Great Merseyside Blitz

They'll be to your taste or not but I like them.

Does the painting have any indiocation of what tune Findlater was playing? ;) One of the Dand Mcneil books by George Macdonald Fraser has this as a heated discussion in the Sgts Mess with some saying that it was Cock o the North, the regimental tune others that it was Haughs o Cromdale. Apparently it had been decided after trhe battle by the CO calling for the RSM and asking him what was played and he said Cock o the North so that is what stood. BTW the RSM was over half a mile away during the battle so couldnt have heard - not even the CO would argue with his RSM! :p
There are a few different versions of that painting and I’ve never seen reference to the tune that was played. The debate has never ended in the Gordons and has passed on to the Highlanders, and now 4SCOTS. I was taught it was Haughs that was played.

The hose flashes or garter knots (the red things that hold up their hose) of the Gordons were belled in commemoration to represent the stirrups of the Greys which they held onto as they went forward into action. Not fiction.....
Not fiction, based on fact - but rather embellished.
When The Grey's were ranked up to advance they would have been side by side, four ranks in two waves IIRC - so very few would have chance to grab a stirrup.
A charge was reserved for the final yards and it's reckoned they probably went little more than a trot into the French who had already broken formation.
Another Waterloo vagary.

I have enjoyed looking through this thread, appreciating a wide variety of art, information and opinions.

Oliver Cromwell by Samuel Cooper 1656

800px-Oliver_Cromwell_by_Samuel_Cooper.jpg

Here are some examples of album cover artwork. I like them.

1. The entering of the Crusaders in to Constantinople by Eugène Delacroix
You can find more of his work here: Eugène Delacroix - Wikipedia
Smaller, faded images exist on the web so I thought this might be interesting to post.

2. Contact Wait Out by Peter Archer

3. Cover from Those Once Loyal by Bolt Thrower
"The cover shows a World War 1 QF 18 pounder field gun and its crew in action and is based on an original WW1 photograph.[3] The picture is also found on the back side of the Guards Memorial in St James's Park in London."

Here is the photo the artwork is based on, which shows the difference between reality and dramatic representation:

Not only beer, being free running, the chain lockers in the back of my LWB FFR rover also contained, cartons of cigarettes, bottles of brandy, and packets of NAAFI issue coffee, bribes for local farmers who would let us "Hide" in their barns, thus negating having to cam up every night, when out and about away from the static comcen or CP. If you were lucky, they would also throw in a cooked breakfast, in the farm house, and contrary to myths and legends, it did not include a crack at his misses or daughter.;)

Last edited: