Finest military paintings.

Can I ask who painted it, is it also a print and how much.
Its from the R Sigs Museum, comes in at about £20,,, i swear the op at the T100 is a woman.
people maon that it is not all cammed up, but it really catches the mood dontc ha think

Royal Signals Shop - Prints

I've got a lot of aviation prints I want to sell. Apart from the crap that is ebay anywhere webwise thats good for second hand selling? I have searched, not being a lazy git.

Christa Hook does some pretty fine work covering the Peninsular War. I particularly like this one, the 95th in square at Fuentes de Oñoro:

20160617_142951.jpg

Has this made an appearance yet?

image.jpeg

I don't know what it's call but I always like the range of different expressions on the squaddies faces.

Has this made an appearance yet?

View attachment 248862

I don't know what it's call but I always like the range of different expressions on the squaddies faces.
It's the 28th Foot at Quatre Bras by Lady Elizabeth Butler. It's also the first picture in the thread!

Last edited:

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Researching for my last review (because it was mentioned in the book but not included) I found Norman Wilkinson's painting of HMS Achilles sorting out the German AMC raider SMS Leopard (ex British merchantman Yarrowdale):

Wilkinson Leopard Achilles.jpg

I've been a Wilkinson fan for many years. Another favourite is William Wyllie - his draughtsmanship and eye for detail are superb:

Researching for my last review (because it was mentioned in the book but not included) I found Norman Wilkinson's painting of HMS Achilles sorting out the German AMC raider SMS Leopard (ex British merchantman Yarrowdale):

View attachment 248865

I've been a Wilkinson fan for many years. Another favourite is William Wyllie - his draughtsmanship and eye for detail are superb:

Very impressive. Any details about the second of the paintings?

Last edited:
The Road to Menin Gate by Paul Nash

It has a nightmarish quality but hints at hope of a better future.

Currently the screensaver on my PC

An Austin K9 D11, I drove those at 10 sigs in the very early 70's. Radio troop had 4. used for flood control, Aid to the civil powers, and RRIT duties. The genny is an Onan 3.5Kva twin mounted, horizontally opposed, ( Normally two in a trailer towed behind),..... See all those years in uniform weren't wasted!. They have one on display, with a genny at the sigs museum.

Last edited:
I've always been impressed by the crazy courage and battle-lust of the Scots as painted by Stanley Berkeley (" Gordons and Greys to the front: An Incident at Waterloo") decades later:
Stanley Berkeley - Wikipedia

Historically sadly apocryphal it seems ("Stirring legend has it that the Gordons and the Greys together charged the French column, crying “Scotland Forever!” and with the Gordons hanging on to the stirrups of the cavalry horses" - On this day in Scotland: The Battle of Waterloo) - but in all good fiction is there not a germ of truth?

Stirrup Charge.png

I've always been impressed by the crazy courage and battle-lust of the Scots as painted by Stanley Berkeley (" Gordons and Greys to the front: An Incident at Waterloo") decades later:
Stanley Berkeley - Wikipedia

Historically sadly apocryphal it seems ("Stirring legend has it that the Gordons and the Greys together charged the French column, crying “Scotland Forever!” and with the Gordons hanging on to the stirrups of the cavalry horses" - On this day in Scotland: The Battle of Waterloo) - but in all good fiction is there not a germ of truth?

View attachment 339574
The hose flashes or garter knots (the red things that hold up their hose) of the Gordons were belled in commemoration to represent the stirrups of the Greys which they held onto as they went forward into action. Not fiction.....